If you find the speakers on your Dell laptop stop working, don’t panic. It’s usually not hard to fix…
Try these fixes
All the screenshots below are from Windows 10, but the fixes also work in Windows 8 and 7.
Just work your way down the list until your computer speakers not working problem is solved.
Sometimes you can’t hear sound from your speakers simply because the volume is mute or set too low.
To make sure the volume is audible:
- Click the sound icon on the lower-right of your screen, then move the volume slider all the way to halfway up.If there’s a volume control on the app you’re playing, make sure to slide the volume bar to an audible level too.
- Test if you can hear any sound from your laptop speakers. If not, then move on to Fix 2, below.
- Right-click on the sound icon on the lower-right of your computer screen, then click Sounds.
- Click Playback > Speakers > OK.
Restart your computer and check if the internal speakers not working problem has been fixed. If not, proceed with Fix 3, below.
This speaker not working problem may occur if you are using the wrong audio driver or it’s out of date. So you should update your audio driver to see if it fixes your problem. If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 steps (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version ofall the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
You can also click Update to do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
- Restart your Dell computer and see if the Dell laptop speakers not working problem has been fixed.
If all else fails, then it’s nine times out of ten a physical issue in the sound card or your laptop. Be sure to leave it with professional hands so as not to jeopardize your PC.