Many HP laptop users are having an issue with their laptop batteries. Their battery indicator on their laptop says it’s not charging when they’ve plugged the power cable into their laptop. This is a frustrating issue. You can’t charge your laptop battery because of this issue, and it’s very inconvenient. But don’t worry. This issue can be fixed…
The following are a few methods that have helped many HP laptop users. You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
Fixes to try
Method 1: Do some hardware troubleshooting
It’s worth checking your laptop power cable or AC adapter when you can’t charge your laptop battery.
- You may not be able to charge your HP laptop battery if you’re using a surge protector. You should try connecting your laptop to a wall socket and see if you’re able to charge your laptop.
- You may also have the battery issue because you’re using a bad AC adapter. Try another AC adapter and see if this resolves your problem.
Method 2: Power reset your laptop
A power reset clears your laptop memory. This is helpful for fixing your battery issue. To power reset your laptop:
1) Turn off your laptop.
2) If your laptop battery is removable, remove your battery.
3)Disconnect the power cable from your laptop.
4) Press and hold the power button of your laptop for 15 seconds, then release it.
5) Insert the battery to your laptop.
6) Connect the power cable to your laptop.
7) Turn on your laptop, then check the status of your laptop battery.
If this method works for you, great! But if not, there are three more fixes for you to try.
Method 3: Update your battery driver
You may have the battery issue because you’re using the wrong battery device driver or it’s out of date.
You should update your driver to see if that’s the case for you. If you don’t have the time, patience, or skills to update your driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. You can download and install your drivers by using either Free or Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes only 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to your battery device to download the latest and correct driver for it, then you can manually install the driver. You can also click the Update All button at the bottom right to automatically update all outdated or missing drivers on your computer (this requires the Pro version — you will be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
If you’ve updated your driver with Driver Easy but your driver issues persist, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com for advice. You should attach the URL of this article so they can help you better.
Method 4: Update your laptop BIOS
BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is a program that manages the connection between your operating system and your laptop hardware devices. Faulty BIOS settings can sometimes cause laptop battery not charging issues. To fix your HP laptop battery, try updating your laptop BIOS. To update your laptop BIOS, go to the HP official site and find the support page of your laptop. Then download the latest BIOS update and install it on your computer. (You may need to consult the instructions provided by HP on how to update BIOS.)
Method 5: Have your laptop serviced
If none of the methods above works for you, you may be having a hardware issue with your laptop battery or motherboard. You should have your HP laptop serviced to fix your issue. Contact the HP customer support for advice or bring your HP laptop to an authorized service provider.