The Arctis 1 is an all-platform gaming headset with a detachable mic and high-quality speaker drivers so you can enjoy the award-winning performance of Arctis no matter where you are. But some users are reporting the SteelSeries Arctis 1 mic working issue. If you’re experiencing the same problem, don’t worry. You can fix SteelSeries Arctis 1 mic not working issue quite easily.
Try these fixes
1. Make sure the microphone is not muted
For basic troubleshooting, you can first check if your SteelSeries Actics 1 is muted. On the left earcup, make sure this button is not pushed towards the mute end.
If the microphone is still not working even if you’re sure it’s not muted, you can try the following workarounds to fix it.
2. Allow access to the microphone
Unlike SteelSeries Arctis 7, 9, and 9X, there’s no factory reset button on Arctis 1. So if the issue is not on your headphone’s end, please check if you have allowed access to your microphone. Here’s how:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key to invoke the Search box and type microphone.
- Select Microphone Privacy Settings from the results list.
- Under the Allow Apps To Access Your Microphone tab, ensure that the toggle is in the On position so that other apps can use your microphone.
- Scroll down to choose which app can access your microphone, and make sure that you have it set for all the apps you want.
- Now check if your mic is working for the app you’re using.
Did this fix your SteelSeries Arctis 1 mic not working? If not, move onto the next method.
3. Change your microphone settings
Normally, Windows can automatically detect your microphone and set iy as the default input device once your headphone is plugged into. But sometimes you’ll need to set it as the default device manually:
- Right-click on the sound icon in the lower-right corner of your desktop, and select Sounds.
- Go to the Recording tab, and make sure your Headset Microphone is set as the default device. If not, select your headphone and click Set Default.
- Also, make sure it displays your headphone name correctly and shows strong signals, which means your computer successfully recognizes your device. If your headphone is shown as something else such as Wireless Controller (below), there’s something wrong with your mic settings, so you should re-connect your headset.
- If the display name and signal is normal, right-click Headset Microphone and click Properties.
- Click the Levels tab, then drag the volume slider towards the largest value (100).
- Click OK to apply the changes, and then click OK on the last window.
Now your microphone should be set correctly, and you’ve turned up your microphone volume. Try your headphone and see if your microphone is working. If it does, then congratulations. But if not, you can follow the next fix to solve this problem.
4. Update your audio drivers
The mic on your SteelSeries Arctis 1 headset won’t work if you’re using incorrect or outdated audio or headset drivers. So you should update both the Realtek audio driver and your headphone driver to see if that fixes the issue.
You can update your driver manually or automatically. The manual process requires to visit the manufacturer’s website to download the latest driver and install them manually, which is time-consuming, technical, and risky. We don’t recommend it unless you have excellent computer knowledge.
Updating your driver automatically, on the other hand, is very easy. Simply install and run Driver Easy, and it will automatically find all the devices on your PC that need new drivers, and install them for you. Here’s how to use it.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to your sound device or your headset to download the latest and correct driver for it.
Or you can also click the Update All button at the bottom right to automatically update all outdated or missing drivers on your computer. (This requires the Pro version — you will have full tech support and a 30-day money-back guarantee.)
- Restart your computer for it to take effect.
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
Did it fix your SteelSeries Arctis 1 not working issue? If the answer is still a no, don’t worry. You can head onto our next fix, below.
5. Install the latest SteelSeries Engine software
The microphone problem might be on your SteelSeries Engine software’s end. To fix it, you need to update ut to the latest version.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run box. Then type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- Right-click SteelSeries Engine and click Uninstall.
- Download the latest SteelSeries Engine.
- Select your operating system to start downloading.
- Once complete, run this executable file and follow the on-screen instructions to finish.
- Replug your SteelSeries Arctis 1 into your computer and run this software. Your headset now should be recognized successfully.
Did the fixes above fix your SteelSeries Arctis 1 mic not working issue? Feel free to leave us a comment if you have questions or suggestions. We would appreciate your valuable feedback.