If your Xbox One controller (wireless or wired) doesn’t work on your PC, you can’t play games successfully. This is very frustrating. There are several reasons causing this problem. But don’t worry. You can fix the problem quickly by using the methods in this post.
There are four methods to fix the problem. You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down at the top of list until you find the one that works for you.
- Unplug and Replug the Controller (Wired Only)
- Use a Different USB Cable (Wired Only)
- Update the Xbox One Controller Driver
- Update the Driver Using Driver Easy
Note: Method 1 and Method 2 only works for wired Xbox One Controller. If you’re using a wireless controller, please skip and move to other methods.
Try to unplug and replug the controller to the computer. This simple method should be the first method you can try, as it always work like a charm.
If you’re using a wired controller, a broken USB cable can be the cause. Try a cable with no problem and check to see if the problem is resolved.
If the Xbox One Controller driver is missing or corrupted, the controller cannot work properly on your PC. So you can try to update the controller driver. There are two methods to update the driver. This method is update the driver manually via Device Manager. If you don’t time, patience or computer skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy (move to Method 4).
Follow these steps to update the driver via Device Manager.
1) On your keyboard, press the Win+R (Windows key and R key) at the same time to invoke the run box.
2) Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter on your keyboard. This is to open Device Manager.
3) Expand Microsoft Xbox One Controller. Right-click on it and click Update Driver Software.
4) Select Search automatically for updated driver software. Then Windows will install the new driver.
If the issue persists, follow steps below to update the driver again:
1) In Device Manager, right-click on Microsoft Xbox One Controller and click Update Driver Software.
2) Click Browse my computer for driver software.
3) Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
4) Select Microsoft Xbox One Controller then click Next button.
The steps above may resolve the problem, but if they don’t, try to use Driver Easy to automatically update the drivers.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to a flagged Xbox driver to automatically download and install the correct version of this driver (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
Hope you can solve the Xbox One controller not working issue with methods above. If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below. We’d love to hear of any ideas and suggestions.