Although ELEX II has received generally positive reviews on Steam, there are still many PC gamers complaining that ELEX II keeps crashing on their Windows PC. If you’re running into the exact same issue, don’t worry! You should be able to fix this issue easily after reading this article.
System requirements of ELEX II for Windows PC
Before trying anything more complicated, make sure that your PC meets the system requirements of ELEX II first. Just take a quick glance at the table below to view the system requirements of ELEX II for Windows PC:
|Windows 10, 64 Bit
|Windows 10, 64 Bit
|AMD Ryzen 3 3100 / Intel Core i5-7400
|AMD Ryzen 7 2700 / Intel Core i5-9500F
|12 GB RAM
|16 GB RAM
|Radeon RX 5600 XT / Geforce GTX 1060
|Radeon RX 5700 XT / Geforce RTX 2060
|45 GB available space
|45 GB available space
You may need to upgrade your PC first if your PC fails to meet the system requirements of the game.
If it keeps crashing on your powerful PC, just read on and try the fixes below.
Try these fixes
Whether ELEX II crashes on startup or crashes in the middle of the game, you can find a fix to try in this article. You don’t need to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Verify and repair game files
- Update your graphics driver
- Install the latest game patch
- Disable overlays
- Temporarily disable anti-virus software
- Repair corrupted system files
- Perform a clean boot
Verify and repair game files
Game crashing issues are often triggered by corrupted game files. You can verify and repair game files using Steam. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch Steam and go to your Library.
- Right-click on ELEX II and select Properties.
- Click LOCAL FILES on the left, then click Verify integrity of game files…. If Steam finds anything wrong with the game files, it will re-download them from its official server.
Depending on the size of the game files, it may take some time to verify all your game files.
Launch ELEX II after the verifying process is complete. See if it crashes again. If this issue persists, try the next fix, below.
Update your graphics driver
Graphics driver is essential to the functioning of video games. If ELEX II keeps crashing on your PC, it’s likely that you have the corrupted or outdated graphics driver on your PC. So you should update your drivers to see if it fixes the game crashing issues.
You can update manually: first go to the manufacturer’s download page (AMD / NVIDIA), then search your model and download the correct driver installer. But if you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 steps (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Note: You can do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Install the latest ELEX II patch
The developer of ELEX II releases regular game patches to fix bugs and improve gaming performance.
It’s possible that a recent patch has caused the game crash issue, and that a new patch is required to fix it. If a patch is available, it will be detected by Steam, and the latest game patch will be automatically downloaded and installed when you launch the game.
Run ELEX II again and check if the game crashes get fixed. If it didn’t work, or there was no new game patch available, move on to next fix, below.
Overlays sometimes the overlay would interfere with the game and even block the game files. If you’re using the Steam Overlay while playing the game, try disabling Steam Overlay for ELEX II and see if the game crashes again:
- Launch Steam and navigate to the LIBRARY tab. right-click on ELEX II. Then select Properties.
- Uncheck Enable Steam Overlay while in-game.
If you’re using other apps with overlay features (e.g. Xbox Game Bar, Discord, Nvidia GeForce Experience, Twitch, etc.), make sure you’ve disabled the in-game overlay in those apps feature.
Run ELEX II and check if the it crashes again. If the game still crashes, try the next fix, below.
Temporarily disable anti-virus software
3rd party antivirus software sometimes may block game files, which would also crash the game.
You can try adding both the game folder and Steam as an exception to your third-party antivirus application. If necessary, temporarily disable the 3rd party antivirus software before playing the game.
Launch ELEX II and see if the game crashes after you disabled the anti-virus software on your PC.
If this fix didn’t work, try the next fix, below.
Repair corrupted system files
Windows system file corruption will also lead the game to crash. If you’ve played PC games for years, you may have already known that even a missing or corrupted .dll file (dynamic link libraries) would cause a game to crash.
Not sure if the game crashes is triggered by system file corruption? No worries! With Fortect, you can easily find and repair all the missing and corrupted system files.
As a powerful tool that specializes in Windows repair, Fortect will compare your current Windows OS to a brand new and functioning system, then remove and replace all the damaged files with fresh Windows files and components from its continuously updated online database that contains vast repository of system services & files, registry values, dynamic link libraries and other components of a fresh Windows installation.
After the repair process is done, Your PC’s performance, stability and security will be restored and improved.
To repair corrupted system files using Fortect, follow the steps below:
- Download and install Fortect.
- Open Fortect. It will run a free scan of your PC and give you a detailed report of your PC status.
- Once finished, you’ll see a report showing all the issues. To fix all the issues automatically, click Start Repair (You’ll need to purchase the full version. It comes with a 60-day Money-Back Guarantee so you can refund anytime if Fortect doesn’t fix your problem).
Perform a clean boot
If you’ve tried all the fixes above to no avail, maybe there is a certain app conflicting with ELEX II.
In this case, you’ll need to find the exact app(s) that conflicts with the game. To do so, just follow the steps below to perform a clean boot:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run Dialog. Type msconfig and press Enter to open the System Configuration window.
- Navigate to the Services tab, check Hide all Microsoft services and then click Disable all.
- Select the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
- On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable.
- Go back to the System Configuration window and click OK.
- Click Restart to restart your PC.
Restart your PC and launch ELEX II to check if the game crashes again. If not, open the System Configuration window again to enable services and applications one by one until you find the problematic software.
Once you find out the problematic software that crashes ELEX II, you can uninstall it to avoid game crashing issues in the future.
If the crashing issue reappears after you disabled all the 3rd party apps and services, try reinstalling ELEX II.
Normally, after reinstalling the game, you’ll be able to fix the crashing issue.
If these common fixes didn’t help you fix the ELEX II crashing issue, you can also try investigating Windows crash logs to analyze and troubleshoot the causes of the crash. For more details, see the article: How to view crash logs in Windows 10.
Hopefully, one of the fixes above helped you fix the ELEX II crashing issue. Feel free to drop a line in the comment area below if you have any questions or suggestions. Thanks for reading!