The easiest way to fix “KernelBase.dll” crash issue
Remove malware threats
Restore max performance
Replace damaged windows files
Recently, many Windows users have reported their programs sometimes crash with the KernelBase.dll error. Some of them bump into this error when opening or closing a program, while others encounter this issue just when the program is running. It is really annoying!
What is KernelBase.dll
The file KernelBase.dll is a DLL (Dynamic Link Library) file stored in the system folder of Windows operating system. It is usually created automatically during the installation of the Windows operating system. The file KernelBase.dll contains a set of procedures and driver functions, so it is essential for the normal function of the Windows operating system.
Since the file KernelBase.dll can be accessed by more than one program at a time, and the KernelBase.dll crash issue occurs on any Windows operating system including Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10, it is difficult to narrow down the causes of the crash.
However, the good new is you can easily fix it with the methods below. You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you:
Try these fixes
Here’s a list of fixes that have resolved this problem for other users. You don’t have to try them all. Just work your way through the list until you find the one that does the trick for you.
- Restore the KernelBase.dll file
- Update your Windows system
- Run the program compatibility troubleshooter
- Reinstall the problematic program
- Run System File Checker
- Copy the same file from another computer
- Repair system files automatically
- Pro tip: Update your drivers
You can fix this issue by restoring the KernelBase.dll file from a trustworthy source. If you’re not sure which software you can trust, it’s recommended that you try DLL-files.com Client.
With DLL-files.com Client, you’ll be able to fix your DLL error in one click. You don’t have to know Which version of Windows system is running on your computer, and you don’t need to worry about downloading the wrong file. DLL-files.com Client handles it all for you.
To restore the KernelBase.dll file with DLL-files.com Client:
1) Download and install DLL-files.com Client.
2) Run the Client.
3) Type “KernelBase.dll” in the search box and click the Search for DLL file button.
4) Click kernelbase.dll.
5) Click the Install button. (You’re required to register the program before you can install this file — you’ll be prompted when you click Install.)
Check to see if you resolve this issue. If not, try the next fix, below.
Check if there are any new Windows-related patches or service packs available. The DLL error might be caused by an outdated Windows operating system. Try updating your Windows system and this issue may get resolved. Here is how to do it:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type update. In the list of results, click Check for updates to open Windows Update window.
2) Click the Check for updates button to update your Windows system.
3) Restart your PC when the Windows update process is completed. If this fix works, your program wouldn’t crash with the KernelBase.dll error again.
This issue may also be triggered by a poor written program. If your program crashes with the KernelBase.dll error when opening or closing a program, or just when a program is running, it’s time to run the program compatibility troubleshooter.
The program compatibility troubleshooter can check whether that program is compatible for your current Windows operating system or not. Just follow the steps to run the program compatibility troubleshooter:
1) Right click the shortcut of the problematic program on your desktop and select Properties.
2) Click the Compatibility tab and click Run compatibility troubleshooter.
3) Click Try recommended settings to test-run program using recommended compatibility settings. Follow the on screen instructions to see whether this troubleshooting option works or not.
4) If it still doesn’t work, then run compatibility troubleshooter again and select the second option to choose compatibility settings based on problems you notice.
5) If the problem persists, adjust the following settings manually and select OK when you’re done.
- Compatibility mode: If your program is not designed for your current Windows system, the program may crash with the KernelBase.dll error. Click the drop-down list to select a previous version of Windows system to test run the program.
- Run this program as an administrator: If the program is not given administrator privileges, it may not run properly and may even crash with the KernelBase.dll error. Try this setting to give the program the administrator privileges.
If this fix works, your program won’t crash with the KernelBase.dll error.
If this issue occurs when you open or close a certain program, or when that program is running, try to reinstall that problematic program and maybe the KernelBase.dll error will be resolved.
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog. Type control and press Enter to open the Control Panel.
2) View the Control Panel by Category and select Uninstall a program.
3) Right click your problematic program and select Uninstall.
4) Restart your PC and then download the installation package of the problematic program from its official website.
5) Double click the installation package to install the program.
Now run the program to see whether your program will crash with the KernelBase.dll error or not.
Now run the program to see whether your program will crash with the KernelBase.dll error or not.
If some of your system files are corrupted, your program may also crash with the KernelBase.dll error. In this case, running System File Checker may help you resolve this issue. System File Checker can scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.
Here is how to do it:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows Logo Key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog. Type cmd and then press Ctrl, Shift, and Enter on your keyboard at the same time to run the Command Prompt as administrator. You will be prompted for permission. Click Yes to run the Command Prompt.
2) On your keyboard, type the command below and press Enter. If your current operating system is Windows 7, please skip this step.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
When this command operation is completed, close the Command Prompt. If this fix works, your program won’t crash with the KernelBase.dll error.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
3) When the command operation is completed, on your keyboard, type the following command and press Enter.
Another fix to deal with KernelBase.dll crash issue is to replace the file KernelBase.dll from the original or legitimate source. You can copy the file KernelBase.dll from another trustworthy computer running the same version and edition of Windows operating system.
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows Logo key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog. Type cmd and press Enter to open the Command Prompt.
2) Type the command line systeminfo and press Enter to view your system type.
3) Based on your system type, copy the file KernelBase.dll from another trustworthy computer running the same version and edition of Windows operating system and paste it to your own Windows operating system.
4) On your keyboard, press the Windows Logo Key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog. Type cmd and then press Ctrl, Shift and Enter on your keyboard at the same time to run the Command Prompt as administrator. You will be prompted for permission. Click Yes to run the Command Prompt.
5) Type the Command line regsvr32 KERNELBASE.dll and press Enter.
6) Restart your PC to see whether this issue gets fixed or not.
Fix 7: Repair system files automatically
If you don’t have the time, the patience or you’re not comfortable playing with the command line, don’t worry. A professional tool like Fortect can do the job for you.
As a professional Windows repair tool, Fortect boasts powerful technology that secures and safely repairs your PC to an optimized state. With just one click, Fortect will scan and detect faulty system files on your PC, then automatically replace those damaged or missing Windows files with healthy new ones!
Most importantly, Fortect can fix the KernelBase.dll file crashing issue easily, so you don’t have to reinstall Windows OS, and you won’t lose any personal data or settings.
- Download and install Fortect.
- Open Fortect. It will run a free scan of your PC and give you a detailed report of your PC status.
- Once finished, you’ll see a report showing all the issues. To fix all the issues automatically, click Start Repair (You’ll need to purchase the full version. It comes with a 60-day Money-Back Guarantee so you can refund anytime if Fortect doesn’t fix your problem).
If there are outdated or missing drivers on your PC, it is a good idea to update your drivers to the latest version, since by doing that, you can avoid many computer issues. There are two ways to do it: manually and automatically.
Update your drivers manually – You can update your drivers manually by going to the official website of the manufacturer, and searching for the latest driver for your device.
Update your drivers automatically – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your sound card driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy.
You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem driver.
3) Click Update next to your device to automatically download the correct version of its driver, then you can install it manually. Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (This requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All. You get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee).
If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave your comment below.