Fix: Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter
Feeling so frustrated you got no Internet connection AT ALL and having no clue as to why Windows throws you this Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter error message?
Don’t worry – we got you covered!
What you might want to know…
A network adapter driver is a tiny program that allows our network adapter to communicate with our computer.
- Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter;
- Windows could not find a driver for your network adapter;
- Windows did not detect any networking hardware
etc. are sent from Windows Troubleshooter to inform you of a missing network adapter driver, hence the no Internet connection issue. So we’ll have to install the latest network driver to troubleshoot the issue.
Try these methods
Both methods below work in Windows 10, 8 and 7. Just browse through the list and take your pick:
- Reinstall your network adapter driver manually
- Reinstall your network adapter driver automatically (Recommended)
To update our network adapter driver manually, we might first have to check out what network card our computer is using, then go to the manufacturer’s official website, find out the latest & correct version of the driver, and download the file and install it all on our own.
A word of warning: The whole manual network adapter driver download & update process needs time, patience and certain levels of computer skills. If you’re not comfortable playing with device drivers, or worrying about any risks in the process, jump to Method 2 to do it automatically.
- On the keyboard of the target computer, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then copy & paste devmgmt.msc into the box and click OK.
- Locate and double-click on Network adapters to retrieve the brand and model of your network adapter.
On the computer with Internet, go to the brand manufacturer’s official website and check out the section for driver downloads.
Search the model of your graphics card, click the right download link for your Windows OS. Usually a few download options will be listed but you might want to click the first result for the latest driver release.
Move the downloaded file to the computer without the Internet.
On the computer without the Internet, run the downloaded file (mostly either an exe. file or .inf file). Then follow the on-screen instructions to finish the install.
Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the driver for your network adapter manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what brand and model of network adapter your computer is using. You don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- You can upgrade to the Pro version and click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of ALL the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. You can also click Update to do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
There you go – 2 easy ways to get the latest driver for your network adapter. Hope this helps and feel free to comment below if you have any further questions. 🙂