Seeing a black screen when playing Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege? You are not alone. It’s a common issue many players face when playing video games. But the good news is, it’s fixable. In this post, we will show you how to fix Rainbow Six Siege black screen issues.
Check the game’s minimum requirements
Before trying the methods below, it will be better for you to check the game’s minimum requirements first and see if your computer’s hardware is good enough for Rainbow Six Siege. If your computer doesn’t meet the requirements, this will most likely be the cause of the black screen issue. Then you’ll need to upgrade your hardware components before you can play this game normally.
|Operating System:||Windows 7 / 8 / 10 64-bit|
|Processor:||Intel Core i3 560 or AMD Phenom II X4 945|
|Memory:||6 GB RAM|
|Graphics Card:||Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 or AMD Radeon HD5770|
Try these fixes:
- Verify the integrity of your game files
- Update your graphics driver
- Install the latest Windows updates
- Check the advanced power options
- Force borderless windowed mode in games
- Run the game in compatibility mode
- Reinstall the game
Fix 1: Verify the integrity of your game files
The Rainbow Six Siege black screen issue might be caused by a faulty installation. To fix this, you need to verify your game files. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch Ubisoft Connect and navigate to the Games tab. At the bottom right corner of Rainbow Six Siege, click the arrow icon, then select Verify files from the drop-down menu.
- If prompted, select Repair. Ubisoft Connect will then restore any missing or corrupted files.
Epic Games Launcher
- Select the game in your Library and click on the three dots at the button-right.
- Then click Verify in the drop-down menu.
- Wait a few minutes to verify all your game’s files.
- Open your Steam Library.
- Right-click Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege, then select Properties….
- Select the LOCAL FILES tab and click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES….
- Steam will verify the game’s files. This process may take several minutes.
Once it completes, launch Rainbow Six Siege again to see if it solves the black screen problem.
If not, then you can try the next fix below.
Fix 2: Update your graphics driver
The graphics card is no doubt one of the most important hardware for gaming. So if your graphics driver is outdated or faulty, you might experience a black screen while playing Rainbow Six Siege. Besides, the manufacturers of graphics cards frequently release new drivers, which usually can improve the performance of new games. If you don’t remember the last time you updated your graphics driver, then now is a great time to have it done.
Here are two ways you can try to update your graphics driver:
Option 1 — Manually
Option 2 — Automatically (Recommended)
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your device drivers manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system, find the correct drivers for your exact devices and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
Or you can click Update next to the flagged device driver to do it for free, but it’s partly manual.
Once you’ve updated your graphics driver, launch Rainbow Six Siege and see if the issue persists.
If the black screen issue still remains, you can try the next fix.
Fix 3: Install the latest Windows updates
If you’re on Windows 10, you might fix the black screen error by installing the latest Windows updates. That’s because every Windows update will fix mostly all the latest bugs. Here’s how to do it:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and I key at the same time to open Settings.
- Click Updates & Security.
- Under Windows Update, click Check for updates. The system will automatically start the search for new Windows updates if available. If there is any, it will download the update directly.
- Once the update is completed, restart your computer to apply changes.
Now you can launch Rainbow Six Siege again to see if the black screen problem persists or not.
If the problem still remains, you can try the following fixes.
Fix 4: Check the advanced power options
Your power settings might affect your GPU’s performance based on power saving options. To make sure your graphics card is properly powered, you can check the advanced power settings. Here’s how to do it:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R key together to open the Run dialog box. Then type in control panel and click OK.
- In Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound.
- Click Power Options.
- Then click Change plan settings.
- Click Change advanced power settings.
- In the pop-up window, double click PCI Express, then extend Link State Power Management.
- Open the drop-down menu next to On battery and Plugged in orderly, then select Off.
- Click Apply and OK to save settings.
Now you can relaunch Rainbow Six Siege. This should fix your black screen issue. But if not, then you should try the next fix.
Fix 5: Force borderless windowed mode in games
Some gamers have reported that they fixed the black screen issue by changing the fullscreen mode to borderless windowed mode. The change was made by editing the .ini file. Here’s how to do it:
- Find the .ini file.
The path should be: C:\Users\Your_username\Documents\My Games\Rainbow Six-Siege\a_bunch_of_letters_and_numbers_folder\GameSettings.ini
- Right-click the .ini file and select Edit with Notepad to open it.
- Changing WindowMode=0 to WindowMode=2.
- Save the file and run Rainbow Six Siege to see if it fixes the black screen issue.
If the issue remains, you can try the next fix below.
Fix 6: Run the game in compatibility mode
Sometimes the Windows update may conflict with Rainbow Six Siege. If that’s the case, you can try to run the game in compatibility mode. To do so:
- Right-click the Rainbow Six Siege icon, then select Properties.
- In the pop-up window, click the Compatibility tab and check the box of Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- In the drop-down menu beneath that, select Windows 7.
- Check the box of Disable fullscreen optimizations.
- Click OK to save changes.
Then you can launch Rainbow Six Siege to see if the black screen issue is fixed or not.
If the issue still remains, here’s one last fix for you to try.
Fix 7: Reinstall the game
If none of the fixes above help, you can try to reinstall Rainbow Six Siege. To do so:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R key together to open the Run dialog box.
- Type appwiz.cpl, then click OK.
- Right-click Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege and select Uninstall.
- Reinstall the game from where you purchased it.
Now you can launch Rainbow Six Siege again and see if it solves the black screen issue.
That’s all about how to fix the Rainbow Six Siege black screen on PC. If this post was helpful for you to fix the black screen issue, do let us know which method worked for you.