The Epic Games Launcher is such a wonderful platform that you can play your favorite games there. But chances are, you might encounter a black screen once you open the launcher. If that’s your case, don’t worry, here are some working fixes for you.
Try these fixes:
You might not need to try them all; simply work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Reset your screen resolution
- Run the launcher as an administrator
- Adjust compatibility mode
- Run compatibility troubleshooter
- Allow the launcher through firewall
- Update your video card drivers
- Change your DNS server to the Google Public DNS
- Flush the DNS cache
- Change high DPI settings
- Use a VPN
- Reinstall Epic Games launcher
Fix 1: Reset your screen resolution
Your screen resolution adjusts to fit the screen but it might default to the wrong view. In this case, you can reset it.
Here’s how you can do this:
1) Right-click on the empty space from your desktop and select Display settings.
2) Scroll down to Display resolution and click on the down arrow button.
3) Scroll down and choose 1280×768.
After resetting the resolution, open the launcher to check if it’s loading correctly. If not, try the next fix.
Fix 2: Run the launcher as an administrator
Many issues can be fixed by running the program as administrator. So for the black screen when opening Epic Games Launcher issue, you can try this too. To do this, you can:
1) Right-click on the launcher shortcut from your desktop and select Run as administrator.
2) Open the launcher to see if the screen is in black. If it is, move on to the next fix.
Fix 3: Adjust compatibility mode
Adjusting the compatibility mode has been tested working for many gamers. So it’s worth a try.
1) Right-click on the launcher shortcut from your desktop and select Properties.
2) Select the tab Compatibility and check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for: and make sure that Windows 8 is selected. Then check the box Disable fullscreen optimizations. After that, click Apply > OK.
3) After applying the changes, open the launcher, and check if the problem is resolved. If not, try the next fix.
Fix 4: Run compatibility troubleshooter
Running the compatibility troubleshooter might help you fix the issue. So it’s worth a shot.
1) Right-click on the launcher shortcut and select Properties.
2） Select the tab Compatibility and click Run compatibility troubleshooter. (Make sure that you’ve unchecked any boxes under the Compatibility tab.)
3) Once the window Program Compatibility Troubleshooter pops up, click Try recommended settings.
4) Click Test the program and you’ll be directed to the launcher.
5) Go back to the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter window and click Next.
6) If there’s no black screen on the launcher, then congratulations! You can choose Yes, save these settings for this program. Till then, enjoy your games.
If the problem persists, then select No, try again using different settings.
7) Uncheck the box The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won’t install or run now. Then check the box The program opens but doesn’t display correctly and click Next.
8) Check the box Error message saying the problem needs to run in 256 colors or 8-bit color mode. Then click Next.
9) Check Yes, try again using different settings and click Next.
10) Click Test the program… > Next.
11) Click Yes, save these settings for this program.
12) Now, the issue is fixed.
If you’ve been troubleshooting multiple times and still didn’t fix the issue, don’t worry. There are other working fixes for you.
Fix 5: Allow the launcher through firewall
There is a possibility that your firewall blocks the launcher. So if this is your case, you’re supposed to allow the launcher through firewall.
1) In the Search box, type firewall. From the results, click Firewall & network protection.
2) Scroll down and click Allow an app through firewall.
3) Go through the list and check if Epic Games Launcher is added into it.
If not, click Change settings and follow the on-screen instructions to add Epic Games Launch to the list and let it through the firewall.
If you’ve done all of these, and still it’s a black screen when you open the launcher. Then try the next method.
Fix 6: Update your video card drivers
One of the most common causes of the black screen problem is an outdated or a faulty video card driver. So you need to update the drivers.
There are two ways you can update your video card drivers:
Option 1 – Manually – You’ll need some computer skills and patience to update your drivers this way because you need to find exactly the right driver online, download it and install it step by step.
Option 2 – Automatically (Recommended) – This is the quickest and easiest option. It’s all done with just a couple of mouse clicks – easy even if you’re a computer newbie.
Option 1 – Download and install the drivers manually
NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel keep updating drivers. To get them, you need to go to the official websites, find the drivers corresponding with your specific flavor of Windows version (for example, Windows 32 bit) and download the drivers manually.
Once you’ve downloaded the correct drivers for your system, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the drivers.
Option 2 – Automatically update your drivers
If you don’t have the time, patience, or computer skills to update the drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running or risk downloading and installing the wrong driver.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the flagged driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
After updating your drivers, restart your computer and open the launcher to check if it fixes the black screen. If not, try the next fix.
Fix 7: Change your DNS server to the Google Public DNS
Sometimes changing the DNS server can fix many issues. So here you can also do this to fix the black screen issue.
1) In the Search box, type control panel and click Control Panel from the results.
2) Click Network and Internet. (Note: make sure that it’s View by: Category.)
3) Click Network and Sharing Center.
4) Click on your Connections, whether it’s Ethernet, Wifi or others.
5) Click Properties.
6) Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP /IPv4) > Properties.
7) Click Use the following DNS server addresses:.
In Preferred DNS server: section, type 8888.
In Alternate DNS server: section, type 8844.
Then click OK.
Fix 8: Flush the DNS cache
If you’ve changed the DNS server to Google Public DNS and still it’s black scree, then you’re supposed to clear your DNS cache.
To do this, simply follow the instructions below:
1) Press Windows logo key + R together on your keyboard. Type cmd and press Shift + Ctrl + Enter at the same time.
2) When the window Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device appears, click Yes.
3) Type the command ipconfig /flushdns and hit Enter.
After successfully clearing your DNS cache, try opening your launcher again to check if it fixes the issue.
Fix 9: Change high DPI settings
1) Right-click on the launcher’s shortcut and select Properties.
2) Select the Compatibility tab and click Change high DPI settings.
3) Check the box Override high DPI scaling behavior and click OK.
Fix 10: Use a VPN
Many players reported that using a VPN when opening the launcher fixed the issue. So you can give it a shot.
All you need to do is to download a VPN. Once it’s installed, launch the application and activate the VPN. Then you should be able to open the launcher successfully.
But don’t know which VPN to choose? Don’t worry! Here we recommend NordVPN as your best pick for its military-grade encryption. If you’ve decided to choose NordVPN, here’s a NordVPN coupon code for you! Just get the code, go to the NordVPN subscription page, paste the code, and then follow the instructions to download and install NordVPN.
Fix 11: Reinstall Epic Games Launcher
If none of the methods mentioned above work for you, then you might need to uninstall the launcher and reinstall it.
Here’s how you can do this:
1) Close the launcher.
2) In the Search box, type cmd. From the results, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
3) When the window opens, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
(This may take a little while.)
4) Restart your computer.
5) In the Search box, type add or remove programs. From the results, click Add or remove programs.
6) From the list, scroll down and select Epic Games Launcher and click Uninstall.
7) After uninstalling the launcher, go to the official website to download the latest installer. Till then, follow the on-screen instructions to install the launcher.
So these are the fixes for Epic Games Launcher Black Screen. Hopefully, they work for you. If you have any questions or ideas, please feel free to leave us a comment below.😊