Any avid sport game fans won’t want to miss out on FIFA 22, the latest fantastic installment of the FIFA franchise. While this game was just released, there are constant reports about FIFA 22 crashing on PC. If you encounter the same issue, don’t worry. In this post, we’ve put together a full list of solutions.
Fixes to try:
You don’t have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that does the trick.
- Verify the integrity of game files
- Update your graphics driver
- Change the DirectX settings
- Disable overlay
- Optimize the graphics settings
- Reinstall the game
Fix 1 – Verify the integrity of game files
Before trying anything more complicated, you should check if there are missing or corrupted game files that stop FIFA 22 from running normally. First choose your gaming platform: Steam or Origin, and follow the instructions to do an integrity check.
If you’re on Steam
- Launch your Steam client and select Library.
- Right-click FIFA 22 and click Properties.
- Select the Local Files tab and click Verify integrity of game files.
Once the process completes, restart your game to see how it works. If the crashes reoccur, read Fix 2.
If you’re on Origin
- Open Origin and click My Game Library from the left pane. Then select FIFA 22 from the list.
- Click the gear icon under the Play button and click Repair.
It may take a few minutes to scan and repair, and then you can test if the crashing issue is still there. If yes, try the second solution.
Fix 2 – Update your graphics driver
The constant FIFA 22 crashes can also indicate a driver issue. If you’re using a broken or outdated graphics driver, there may be various gaming problems that affect your experience. To avoid any crashing issues like that, you should always install the latest graphics driver.
Here are two ways you can update the graphics driver easily and quickly:
Option 1 – Download and install the driver manually
Graphics card manufacturers keep updating drivers. To get them, you need to go to their websites (AMD or NVIDIA), find the drivers corresponding with your specific flavor of Windows version and download it manually.
Once you’ve downloaded the correct drivers for your system, double-click the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Option 2 – Automatically update the graphics driver
If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to a flagged graphics driver to automatically download the correct version of this driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
So all your device drivers are the latest. Check if FIFA 22 is back to the normal state. If not, there are three more fixes to try.
Fix 3 – Change the DirectX settings
If you’re running into FIFA 22 crashing with a specific DirectX error, then you may need to change the DirectX settings to see if that helps your case.
- On your keyboard, press the Window logo key and E at the same time to open the File Explorer, and navigate to Document.
- Open the FIFA 22 folder. Then right-click the fifasetup.ini file and click Open with > Notepad.
- If you see DIRECTX_SELECT = 0, change the value to 1. If it’s 1, change it to 0.
- Pree Ctrl and S on your keyboard to save the changes.
Now test if FIFA 22 runs smoothly after the tweaks. If your game is still unplayable, move on to the next fix below.
Fix 4 – Disable overlay
In some cases, the overlay of the game launcher like Steam or Origin may cause FIFA 22 to crash or function improperly. It is an interface that allows you to access voice chat or other features. If that’s not necessary for you, simply turn it off.
- Open Steam and select the Library tab.
- From the game list, right-click FIFA 22 and click Properties.
- Untick Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
Play the game again to see if this method does the trick. If not, follow Fix 5 to adjust the in-game settings.
- Launch Origin. Select My Game Library, and choose the FIFA 22 tile.
- Click the gear icon and click Game Properties.
- Make sure Enable Origin In Game for FIFA 22 Ultimate Edition is unticked. Click Save.
How does the game work with overlay disabled? If it keeps crashing as before, continue to the next fix.
Fix 5 – Optimize the graphics settings
Running FIFA 22 on high or ultra graphics may deliver a better experience. However, if your machine isn’t powerful enough, you should just lower certain settings to make the game more stable.
- Launch FIFA 22 and select Game Settings.
- Select the Windowed or Windowed Borderless mode.
- Select Lock to 60fps under Frame Rates, and click OK.
Open the game to check out on its performance. Still no luck? Try the last method.
Fix 6 – Reinstall the game
If none of the fixes above resolves your FIFA 22 crashing issue, consider reinstalling the game from scratch. After uninstalling FIFA 22, also remember to delete the remaining game files. And if possible, install the game on SSD, which, according to some players, solved the crashing dramatically.
Hopefully this post helped. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave your comment below.