After a long wait, the new Hitman installment is finally here. While being the first AAA title released in 2021, Hitman 3 is not immune from issues. Upon its arrival, many gamers start reporting a game not launching error. But don’t worry if you happen to be on the same boat. Down below we’ve put together some working fixes to help restore your assassin identity. Try them and get your game working right away.
Try these fixes
You might not need to try them all. Simply work down the list until you find the one that does the trick.
- Verify the integrity of your game files
- Run Epic Games launcher as administrator
- Launch Hitman 3 from game folder
- Update your graphics driver
- Install all Windows updates
- Check if it’s a server issue
Fix 1: Verify the integrity of your game files
The game not launching problem could mean that some game files are missing or corrupted. In either cases, you can simply run an integrity check to get your game working:
- Open your Epic Games launcher.
- Navigate to the LIBRARY tab. Find Hitman 3 and click the three dots icon.
- Select Verify from the drop-down list. Then wait for the checking to complete.
Now you can try to launch Hitman 3 using the Epic Games launcher.
If verifying game files doesn’t help, you can take a look at the next fix.
Fix 2: Run Epic Games as administrator
If there’s nothing wrong with your game files, the next thing you should do is check for permission issues. Granting the Epic Games launcher the administrator access could be a potential fix in this regard.
- On your keyboard, press Win (the Windows logo key) and type Epic Games. In the search results, select Run as administrator.
- Now try to launch Hitman 3. If this trick works for you, continue to the next step to always run Epic Games launcher as administrator. Otherwise you can jump to the next fix.
- On your desktop, right-click Epic Game launcher and select Properties.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab. Under the Settings section, check the box next to Run this program as an administrator. Click OK to save the changes.
Fix 3: Launch Hitman 3 from game folder
The game not launching error might come from the game launcher. Some gamers reported on reddit that when they failed to start Hitman 3 from Epic Games launcher, one possible workaround is to launch it using the hitman3.exe file in the game folder. So you can try this trick and see how things go.
If you can’t launch Hitman 3 directly from the game folder, take a look at the next fix.
Fix 4: Update your graphics driver
It’s also very likely that the issue is driver-related, which means a faulty or outdated GPU driver crashes your game the second you start it. If you haven’t checked for graphics driver updates, definitely do it now as it could save you tons of trouble.
There’re mainly 2 ways you can update your graphics driver: manually or automatically.
Option 1: Update your graphics driver manually
If you’re a tech-savvy gamer, you can spend some time updating your GPU driver manually.
To do so, first visit the website of your GPU manufacturer:
Then search for your GPU model. Note that you should only download the latest driver installer that’s compatible with your operating system. Once downloaded, open the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to update.
Option 2: Update your graphics driver automatically (Recommended)
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your video drivers manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for your exact graphics card, and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system.(This requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All. If you don’t want to pay for the Pro version, you can still download and install all the drivers you need with the free version; you just have to download them one at a time, and manually install them, the normal Windows way.)
After updating your GPU driver, you can check if Hitman 3 is working now.
If the latest graphics driver doesn’t solve the problem, you can take a look at the next method.
Fix 5: Install all Windows updates
Aside from drivers, it’s also important to keep your system up to date, which means you should make sure all the system updates are installed, as they usually provide more than just some minor bug fixes.
Here’s how you can check for updates manually:
- On your keyboard, press Win (the Windows logo key). At the bottom left corner of your screen, click the gear icon to open Settings.
- Scroll down and select Update & Security.
- Click Windows Update.
- Click Check for updates. Then wait for the process to complete. After that, restart your PC.
After getting all the system updates, restart your gaming rig and check if Hitman 3 works now.
Fix 6: Check if it’s a server issue
If you’ve tried all the methods above and none seem to work, then maybe it’s your fault at all. After the game was launched, there’re lots of complaints that the carry over server is down and the game is not connecting. So you might need to be patient before a hotfix is released. And to learn more about the Hitman 3 updates, you can check out the IOI Twitter.
So these are the fixes for your Hitman 3 not launching issue. Hopefully this tutorial helps you avoid losing $60 dollars. If you have any questions or ideas, talk to us in the comments below.