Find your mic not working in Squad? That’s definitely annoying when you have trouble hearing other people or them hearing you. But don’t worry. After reading this post, you’ll learn how to fix this issue easily & quickly.
Fixes to try:
Here are 5 tried-and-true fixes for Squad mic not working. You may not try them all. Simply work your way down the list until you find the one that does the trick.
- Double-check your device and connection
- Configure the sound settings
- Check the in-game settings
- Update your audio driver
- Verify the integrity of game files
Fix 1 – Double-check your device and connection
Before trying anything more complicated, you should do some basic checks to make sure your device and connection work fine.
- Test your microphone on another computer to confirm it’s not physically broken.
- If you’re using a wired headset, connect it to a different UBS port, securely and correctly. It’s suggested you use the USB port at the back of the computer as they generally have more power available.
- If you’re using a wireless headset, re-establish the connection by unplugging and replugging the UBS wireless receiver.
- Always plug in your headset before you launch Squad. If it disconnects during the gameplay, try restarting Squad to get it to work.
If your hardware and connection are both good to go, check out more fixes.
Fix 2 – Configure the sound settings
In most cases, your headset microphone will be set as the default input device once it’s connected. However, Windows updates may sometimes screw up the configurations and you need to tweak the settings manually.
Follow the steps here:
Step 1 – Disable unneeded audio devices
- At the bottom right corner of your desktop, right-click the speaker icon and select Sounds.
- Navigate to the Recording tab. Then right-click other unnecessary audio devices and disable them one by one.
Step 2 – Set your main microphone as the default device
- On the Recording tab, select your primary microphone and click Set Default.
- Right-click your microphone and select Properties.
- Go to the Levels tab. Then, drag the microphone volume slider to the max.
Step 3 – Change the sample rate
- On the Microphone Properties window, select the Advanced tab.
- Select 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) from the drop-down menu under Default Format. Then, click OK to apply the changes.
If you’ve configured the microphone properly in Windows and still encounter the same problem, the next thing is to look at the in-game mic settings.
Fix 3 – Check the in-game settings
For your headset mic to work in Squad, you also need to set it as the right input device in Steam. Here’s how:
- Launch your Steam client.
- Click Friends at the upper left corner and choose View Friends List.
- Click the cogwheel icon.
- Select Voice from the left pane. Then, make sure the microphone you’re actually using is set as the Voice Input Device.
Restart Squad to see if your microphone transmits your voice as normal. If not, try the next fix below.
Fix 4 – Update your audio driver
Squad mic not working may indicate your audio driver is faulty or outdated. To avoid the compatibility issues with Squad and keep your microphone working with the best performance, you should update your audio driver on a regular basis.
Option 1 – Download and install the audio driver manually
To update the driver manually, you need to go to the PC manufacturer’s website or sound card’s website to search for the most recent audio driver. Once you’ve downloaded the correct drivers for your system, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Option 2 – Automatically update the audio driver
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your audio driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for your audio device and your Windows version, and it will download and install them correctly:
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to the flagged audio driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
After updating the driver, restart your computer and see if the Squad mic-not-working issue is still there. If yes, try the last fix below.
Fix 5 – Verify the integrity of game files
Missing or faulty game files can also cause random bugs in your game. So you can verify the integrity of game files to see if that helps your case.
- Launch Steam and click the Library tab.
- Right-click Squad from the game list and click Properties.
- Select Local Files and then click Verify integrity of game files.
Does your mic-not-working issue gets fixed now? If not, you should consider uninstalling Squad and restarting from scratch. If there was something wrong with your previous installation, you need to perform a fresh reinstallation to get your microphone to work again in Squad.
Hopefully this post helped you troubleshoot the Squad mic not working problem easily. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.