If you’re not getting any sound when sharing your screen from Discord, don’t worry. You’re not alone! Many Discord users have reported this exact problem. The good news is, there are quite a few known fixes available.
But before we go any further, please check if you can hear sound from other apps or websites such as YouTube. If all your other apps have sound, then read on to find out how to fix Discord no audio issues…
Try These Fixes
- Fix 1: Check Discord Server Status
- Fix 2: Restart Your Computer
- Fix 3: Reset Discord Voice Settings
- Fix 4: Use Discord Legacy Audio Subsystem
- Fix 5: Add the Program to Discord
- Fix 6: Update Your Audio Driver
- Fix 7: Clear Discord Roaming Data
- Fix 8: Update Discord
- Fix 9: Disable Your Antivirus Temporarily
- Fix 10: Reinstall Discord
You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works.
Fix 1: Check Discord Server Status
If you see outages, it could be for maintenance or a problem on the Discord’s end. Just wait for the developer to resolve it in this case.
If all the servers are showing up, it’s likely something else is going on. Read on and try the next fix below.
Fix 2: Restart Your Computer
Some programs or progresses running on your computer may conflict with Discord, causing the audio problem when you’re streaming. If that’s the issue for you, restarting your computer and Discord should resolve it.
A reboot will wipe away the current state of the software and give your system a clean slate and fresh start.
If you still aren’t getting any sound during screen sharing, try the next fix.
Fix 3: Reset Discord Voice Settings
Improper Discord voice settings can cause errors like this. If you’ve recently altered discord settings and the audio isn’t working after then. Try resetting the voice settings to default to see if it fixes the issue. Here is how:
1) Run Discord, and then click the Settings icon.
2) Click Voice & Video, then Reset Voice Settings.
3) Click Okay.
4) Try sharing your screen again to test your issue.
If there’s still no audio when you’re sharing the screen, try the next fix.
Fix 4: Use Discord Legacy Audio Subsystem
The audio issues occur when your hardware is incompatible with Discord’s latest audio subsystem. In this case, switching to the legacy Audio subsystem will fix it. Here’s how:
1) Run Discord.
2) Click the Settings icon.
3) Click Audio & Video. Then, under AUDIO SUBSYSTEM, select Legacy.
4) Click Okay to save the change.
Check to see if the audio works now. If not, try the next fix, below.
Fix 5: Add the Program to Discord
To share your screen properly, make sure the program you want to stream is added to Discord. If you haven’t already done so, follow the instructions below:
1) Run Discord and the program you want to share.
2) Click the Settings icon.
3) Click the Game Status tab, and then click Add it.
4) Click the box to open the drop-down menu, and then select the program you want to share.
5) Click Add Game.
6) Make sure you turn on the toggle next to OVERLAY.
If you’re still facing Discord screen-share no audio error, try the fix below.
Fix 6: Update Your Audio Driver
One of the most common causes of audio issues is a missing or outdated audio driver. To keep your audio card working with new operating systems programs, and applications, you want to make sure your audio driver is up-to-date.
You can update your device drivers manually by going to the manufacture’s website of your sound card and searching for the latest driver for your exact module. Once you find the driver you need, just download the file and install it. If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the audio driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee).
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
4) Check if Discord is running properly now.
If the audio isn’t coming back, try the next method, below.
Fix 7: Clear Discord Roaming Data
Improper account settings and temporary Discord files can also cause audio to fail when you’re running Discord. Try clearing Discord Roaming data to see if it fixes your issue:
1) Exit Discord completely.
2) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type %appdata%. Then, press the Enter key.
3) Right-click Discord, then select Delete.
4) Relaunch Discord to test your issue.
If the sound is still missing during streaming, read on and try the fix, below.
Fix 8: Update Discord
The developers of Discord release regular updates to fix bugs. If you don’t have any sound at all during Discord screen sharing, it’s possible that a recent update has stopped Discord from working correctly, and that a new update is required to fix it.
Follow the instructions to check for Discord updates:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog
2) Type %localappdata% and click OK.
3) Double-click Discord.
4) Double click Update.exe and wait for the update process to be complete.
5) Relaunch Discord to test your issue.
If the audio is still missing when you’re streaming, go to the next fix below.
Fix 9: Disable Your Antivirus Temporarily
If there is no sound at all while streaming in Discord, it’s unlikely that your antivirus is the core problem, but you should rule out the possibility. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and check if the problem persists. (Consult your antivirus documentation for instructions on disabling it.)
If Discord works properly after you disable the antivirus software, contact the vendor of your antivirus software and ask them for advice, or install a different antivirus solution.
Fix 10: Reinstall Discord
Corrupted or damaged Discord files can also cause the app to fail. In this case, reinstalling Discord is very likely the solution to your issue. Follow the instructions below:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Then, type control and click Control Panel.
2) Under View by, click Category, and then select Uninstall a program.
3) Right-click Discord and click Uninstall.
4) Download Discord. Then, open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall Discord.
Hopefully, one of the fixes above helped in resolving your problem. Please feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions and suggestions.