If you’re seeing the blue screen of death error SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (dxgkrnl.sys), you’re not alone. Many Windows 10 users are reporting this problem. No worries, it’s possible to fix. The additional code dxgkrnl.sys ( which stands for DirectX Graphics Kernel) has already told you it is the culprit.
Try these fixes:
Here are 3 fixes for you to try. Work your way down and find the one that works for you.
- Run Reimage to repair BSOD error
- Keep Windows 10 Updated
- Update Graphics Card Driver (Recommended)
- Check for Possible Hardware Failure
Fix 1. Run Reimage to repair BSOD error
Reimage is a powerful tool to repair and rebuild Windows, this program specializes in Windows repair which makes it becomes the easiest way to fix the blue screen of death error SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (dxgkrnl.sys). Reimage Windows Repair is tailored to your specific system and is working in a private and automatic way. It’s like a clean Windows reinstallation in one hour, without losing any programs, settings or user data.
1) Download and install Reimage.
2) Open Reimage and run a free scan. This may take a few minutes.
3) You’ll see the summary of detected issues on your PC. Click START REPAIR and all the issues will be fixed automatically. (You’ll need to purchase the full version. It comes with a 60-day Money-Back Guarantee so you can refund anytime if Reimage doesn’t fix your problem).
It is always suggested that you keep your system updated so as to avoid any unwanted issues, like this one. So if you have not yet updated your Windows 10 just yet, do it now.
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and X at the same time, then click Settings.
2) Click Update & security.
3) Click the Check for updates button and Windows will search for the needed patches for your computer.
4) If find any available update, just download them and wait for them to be installed. You may need to restart your computer for the change to take effect.
As mentioned, dxgkrnl.sys stands for DirectX Graphics Kernel. When you see an error code related to your video card, you should first consider updating your graphics card driver.
You can search for the needed display card driver on the manufacturer website of your computer. If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the flagged graphics card device to automatically download and install the correct version of this driver (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
We have seen some cases in which the problem was caused by a faulty motherboard or a RAM module. If you have tried the above methods and the error stays, you may need to take your PC to a repair store to get it checked.
Before you take it to a repair store, you can try one last thing: turn off NVIDIA surround if you are using a NVIDIA graphics card. Here is how:
On your keyboard, press the combination keys Ctrl + Alt + S or Ctrl + Alt + R to turn it off.
If the NVIDIA surround cannot be turned off in this way, you need to try booting with another monitor and it should be turned off automatically.
Hope your problem is fixed now. If not, feel free to leave us a comment and we will see what we can do to help.