How to Connect Your Laptop to WiFi
If you don’t know how to connect your Windows laptop to your WiFi network, you’ve come to the right place. Check the instructions below an you’ll be able to connect your laptop to a wireless network very easily!
Also, we’ve put together a few solutions you can try when your wireless network is not working properly.
- If you haven’t set up your router, connect a network cable between your computer and your router, then follow the instructions on your router manual to set up your router.
* If your router is ready or you’re going to connect to a public wireless network, then skip to the next step.
- Place your laptop somewhere close enough to the router (to ensure sufficient signal strength).
- On your laptop, click the network icon in the notification area (at the lower-right corner of your screen).
Click the network you’re going to connect.Choose the network by its SSID (the name of a network). If you don’t know the name, check your router or ask the administrator of this network.
- If you want to connect to this wireless network the next time you log in your laptop, check Connect automatically. Then click Connect.
- Enter the password/security key if this is required by the network.If you don’t know the password/security key, check your router or ask the administrator of this network.
- If the wireless network requires additional authentication, open your web browser and open any web page, then fill in your information to log in this network.
- Check your network icon in the notification area to see if you’re connected to the network. If it’s showing the network signal strength (as the screenshot below), then you’ve successfully connected your laptop to WiFi.
Hopefully the steps above help you set up the wireless connection of your laptop. But if it doesn’t, or it’s not working properly, then you may need to try the fixes below to troubleshoot your issues.
The following are a few fixes you can try:
Your laptop may not be able to connect to your wireless network because your router is not working properly. You can try restarting it to see if this fixes your issue. If it does, great. But if not, you may need to…
Updating drivers should always be your go-to option when something goes wrong with your computer or system. Whether you choose to update the device drivers manually, using Windows Update, or you use a trusted third party product, it’s essential that you have the latest correct device drivers for your operating system at all times.
If you’re not comfortable playing with device drivers, or if your computer can’t access the Internet, we recommend using Driver Easy. It’s a tool that detects, downloads and (if you go Pro) installs any driver updates your computer needs.
To update your drivers with Driver Easy, just click the Scan Now button, then when it lists the drivers you need to update, click Update. The correct drivers will be downloaded, and you can install them – either manually through Windows or all automatically with Driver Easy Pro.
Driver Easy is also able to help you update your network driver when you’re offline. You can use the Offline Scan feature to do so. (You’ll need another computer that has Internet access.)