How to Fix Backwards Typing Issues Easily
If you find your text types backwards in your computer, even if you’re typing forwards as normal. This is weird. But don’t worry. You’re far from alone.
Many people will have the backwards typing issue. The good news is, you can fix the typing backwards issue in your computer.
Try these fixes
Here are some solutions that have helped people resolved the backwards typing issue. You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until everything’s working again.
- Restart your computer
- Change your Region settings
- Reset your keyboard settings
- Update your keyboard driver
- Configure the settings in your application
Since many technical problems can be resolved by restarting, it never hurts to restart your computer. Often this will be enough to fix the typing backwards issue.
In addition, if you’re using an external keyboard, and your keyboard is connecting to your computer via USB cable or wireless, you can disconnect your keyboard, then reconnect again. This will hopefully fix your keyboard typing issue.
As you may know, if the region has been changed to the location in which languages are written from right to left, then you’ll have the typing backwards problem. So you can check if your region has been changed in your computer.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open Control Panel in your computer, and make sure to view by small icons or large icons.
- Click Region (or Region and Languages in Windows 7).
- Click the Location tab, and ensure to choose the right Home location for your computer. If the location is not the one you usually use, change it in the drop down menu.
- Save your settings and restart your computer.
Now type something in your computer and see if it fixes your backwards typing issue.
If your problem still persists, don’t worry. There are other solutions.
If your region is correct in your computer, and you’re still experiencing typing backwards issue, it’s possible that you accidentally type the keyboard shortcut than changes the text display when you’re typing. Usually the keyboard shortcuts are:
- For Left to Right Typing: Ctrl + Left Shift
- For Right to Leftt Typing: Ctrl + Right Shift
If that’s the shortcuts for your keyboard, you can set it back to fix the typing backwards issue. But what if you don’t know which keyboard shortcut you’ve typed? Don’t worry. You can reset your keyboard settings to factory.
For keyboards came along with the software, such as Razer keyboard, you can reset your keyboard settings in Razer Synapse.
For keyboards that don’t have the software come along, you can check the keyboard manual or consult the manufacturer to reset your keyboard settings.
A missing or outdated keyboard driver in your computer can cause your typing backwards, so you should update your keyboard driver to the latest version.
There are two ways to update your driver: manually and automatically.
Manual driver update – You can go to the website of your keyboard, find the latest correct driver, then download and install it manually into your computer. This requires time and computer skills.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have time or patience, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
- Download install Driver Easy.
- Open Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan the problem drivers in your computer.
- Click the Update button next to the flagged keyboard to automatically download the correct version of their driver (you can do this with the FREE version). Then install it in your computer.
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All and get a 30-day money back guarantee).
- Restart your computer to take effect.
Type text on your computer and see if it works properly now.
If your keyboard only types backwards in some specific applications, such as Google Chrome search bar, you should check the display settings in that application. The settings vary from applications to applications, so we won’t cover it here.
Take Google Chrome as an example:
- Copy and paste “about://flags” in the search bar in your Google Chrome, and press Enter.
- Go to Force UI Direction, and choose Left to Right.
- Save your changes.
- Restart Google Chrome.
Type text in Google Chrome and see if it fixes your problem.
No luck? You should also check your extensions which are possible to cause your typing problem:
- Go to Google Chrome Settings.
- Click Extensions from the menu on the left.
- Disable the extensions one by one to see which one is causing your backwards typing problem.
If this method doesn’t work, you can reset your Chrome settings to default:
- Go to Google Chrome Settings.
- Click Advanced.
- Scroll down and click Restore settings to their original defaults under the Reset and clean up section.
After resetting, re-launch your application and see if the typing works properly.
So there you go. Hope these five methods help you with your typing backwards problem.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below and we’ll see what more we can do.