HDMI Port Not Working [SOLVED]
Many people have reported that they’ve got problems with their HDMI port. There’s no image or sound coming out from their devices when they’re using the port. If you get this problem, don’t worry. Many people are able to resolve the problem using one of the methods below. You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you:
- Configure your computer display setting
- Update or reinstall your graphics driver
- Restart and reconnect your devices
- Troubleshoot hardware issues
If you are using multiple monitors on your computer and you get an issue with your HDMI port, the issue may be caused by the wrong display setting. You should check this setting on your computer and make sure you use the right way to display your screen.
To check your computer display setting, press the Windows logo key and P on your keyboard at the same time. A list of display modes will appear.
The difference between each mode is as follows:
- PC screen/Computer only — Only using the first monitor.
- Duplicate — Displaying the same content on both monitors.
- Extend — Using both monitors to display an extended desktop.
- Second screen/Projector only — Only using the second monitor.
Experiment with each of them and select the option that suits your need. If your display configuration is correct, you will be able to see images on the screen connected via HDMI.
You may get problems with your HDMI port if you’re using an incorrect graphics driver or it’s out of date. You should try updating or reinstalling your graphics driver and see if this help you resolve your problem. There are two options for you to update your driver:
Option 1: You can do it manually. Uninstall the graphics driver on your computer. Then go to the official website of your graphics adapter and download the graphics driver. After that install it on your computer. Note that you should make sure you find the correct website and download the driver suitable for your operating system.
Option 2: You can update your driver automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can download and install your drivers by using either Free or Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes only 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and Install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem driver.
3) Click the Update button next to your graphics adapter to download the latest and correct driver for this device. You can also hit Update All button at the bottom right to automatically update all outdated or missing drivers on your computer (this requires the Pro version — you will be prompted to upgrade when you click on Update All).
In addition to updating driver, you can also use Driver Easy to uninstall your driver (also Pro required). This is helpful especially when you want to reinstall the driver of a device.
1) Open Driver Easy and click Tools.
2) Click Driver Uninstall and you will see a list of device drivers. Locate your graphics driver and then click the Uninstall button. The driver you select will be removed soon.
Sometimes restarting and reconnecting your devices is an effective method to solve your HDMI port not working issue. It is recommended that you give this a try.
1) Disconnect all your HDMI cables from your ports.
2) Shut down all your devices (your computer, monitor and TV) completely and unplug their power cables (and battery if you are using a laptop).
3) Leave them for five minutes.
4) Plug the power cables (and the battery) back.
5) Connect the HDMI cables back to your devices.
6) Power on the devices.
Now you can see if you can use your HDMI port.
If your HDMI connection is broken, there’re probably hardware issues with your HDMI port, cable or your devices. And there are a few things you need to do:
First, replace your HDMI cable with a new one. This will resolve problems on your cable.
If changing the cable doesn’t work for you, try your HDMI connection with another TV or monitor or another computer. If there are problems with any of your devices, you should have it repaired or replaced.