Chivalry 2 is officially out in June 2021, and many players have been enjoying this title. But some gamers have reported having high ping and lag issues in-game. In this post, we’ll introduce a few working fixes to this problem. Read on and find out what they are…
Try these fixes
You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down until you find the one that does the trick!
Fix 1: Turn off network-hogging programs
If there are network-hogging programs running in the background, you’re more likely to encounter lag issues and high ping in-game. It’s possible that some apps are interfering with your game, or they have consumed too many resources and leave too little for Chivalry 2 to run smoothly.
To check for network-hogging programs in the background, you can look for any videos loading in the background, or your web browser with tons of tabs opened. Here’s how to turn them off :
- Right-click your taskbar, then click Task Manager.
- Under the Processes tab, look for the processes that are network-hogging. Here we take Chrome as an example, right-click it then click End task.
Check if your game is running smoother. If your game is still laggy, try the next solution.
Fix 2: Check your network connection
When your game is lagging and you get high ping, you need to make sure your Internet connection is valid. A few things you can look for to check your Internet connection are as below:
- Try to power cycle your router and modem. Unplug the power cables from your router and your modem, leave them disconnected for at least 30 seconds, then plug the cables back into both devices. When your Internet is working again, check if your game is still laggy.
- If you’re playing Chivalry 2 on Wi-Fi, make sure there’s no overcrowding. In other words, if your Wi-Fi is connected to multiple devices, disconnect the ones you don’t need at the moment.
(Also if possible, play on a wired connection. It’d provide a more stable and reliable connection.)
- If you have low-speed Internet, it could lead to an unstable Internet connection. You can google “Internet speed test” and pick a tool to test your Internet speed. However, when your Internet connection is unreasonably slow, consider contacting your Internet provider for help.
If your Internet connection is solid but you still get high ping when playing Chivalry 2, try the next fix.
Fix 3: Update your network adapter driver
An outdated or faulty network adapter driver can cause lag issues in-game. You may want to make sure yours is up-to-date and functioning properly.
There are two ways you can get the right driver for your network adapter: manually or automatically.
Manual driver update – You can update the network adapter driver via Device Manager. Note that sometimes Device Manager can’t detect if your driver needs an update, since the Windows database isn’t updated frequently. In this case, you can try to update your network adapter driver automatically.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience, or computer skills to update your driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for your exact network adapter and your Windows version, then it will download and install it correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the flagged network adapter driver to automatically download the correct version of the driver then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. I’m using a graphics driver here as an example, since updating it can solve many game issues.(This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
Restart your PC for the new drivers to take effect. If you still encounter lag issues and get high ping in Chivalry 2, try the next fix.
Fix 4: Check the server status
When the server is down or overcrowded, you may find that the game is too laggy to play. You can check for the server status on Chivalry 2 official Twitter, where the developers will post a notice if anything goes wrong or a server needs maintenance. Also, you can use the server browser and switch to a server with lower ping (this feature is only on PC for now and will be available on consoles soon.)
If the game servers don’t seem to be responsible for your lag issues, try the last fix.
Fix 5: Install all the game updates
It’s important to keep your game updated, especially for a new release like Chivalry 2. Some issues may have been fixed through new patch notes, so make sure you always update your game.
The good news is you don’t really have to worry about this part, since the Epic Games client will install the new updates for you automatically. Just note that if you turned off the automatic update option previously, make sure to check for new updates manually.
Hopefully this article solves your problem and you can now join a match on Chivalry 2 without any lags! Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions or suggestions.