If you’ve been experiencing too much screen flickering issue on your Dell laptop lately, don’t worry. It’s usually not hard to fix at all…
Try these fixes
All the fixes below work in Windows 10, 8 and 7.
You may not have to try all of them; just work your way down the list until your laptop screen displays without any glitches again.
- Change the power plan and restore default settings
- Adjust the screen resolution
- Update your graphics driver
- Disable Windows Desktop Manager
- Update or delete incompatible apps
Changing your power plan to high performance and restore it to default settings is a proven effective way to get rid of this screen flashing on Dell laptop issue. To do so:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then copy & paste powercfg.cpl into the box and press Enter.
- Click the High performance option > Change plan settings.
- Click Restore default settings for this plan.
Click Yes to confirm the restore.
- Restart your computer and see if the Dell laptop screen flashing issue goes away.
Another trick you can try is to adjust your screen to the recommended resolution. Here’s how:
- Right-click on the empty area of your desktop and click Display settings.
- In Resolution, click the drop-down menu and make sure the recommended resolution is selected.
- Keep track of your laptop screen and see if it displays properly this time.
- Right-click on the empty area of your desktop screen and click Screen resolution.
- Adjust the screen resolution one by one in the drop-down menu and see if there’s one that helps get rid of the screen flickering problem.
A corrupted/missing/faulty graphics driver is another major culprit for this Dell laptop screen image keeps jumping about issue. It could develop into further problems like black screen, blue screen of death if unattended. But don’t worry, we can update our graphics driver(and possibly others) to nip these problems in the bud.
There’re two ways you can update your device drivers — manually or automatically:
Update your drivers manually – You can update your device drivers manually by going to the Dell’s website, and searching for the most recent correct driver for the exact device. Be sure to choose ONLY drivers that are compatible with your variant of Windows system versions. Then download & update them all by yourself.
Update your drivers automatically – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- You can upgrade to the Pro version and click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of ALL the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. You can also click Update to do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
- Restart your computer and see if your screen displays properly this time.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time. Then type services.msc into the box and press Enter.
- Locate and right-click on Desktop Window Manager Session Manager. Then click Stop.
- Double-click on Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.
- In the General tab, select Disabled in Startup type. Then click Apply > OK.
- Restart your computer and hopefully your laptop screen displays normally again.
Incompatible apps can also interfere with your Windows system and cause you this annoying screen flashing problem.
Think of any recently installed apps and try to update or delete them to see if the Dell laptop screen flickering problem gets sorted.
If all else fails, then it’s nine times out of ten a hardware problem. You might be best off contacting Dell support and leave it with professional hands.
That’s it – top 5 fixes for your Dell laptop screen flickering in your Windows 10/8/7 problem. Hope it helps and feel free to drop a comment below if you have any further questions or ideas to share with us. 🙂