How to Fix iPhone No Sound Issue
It’s so frustrating to find no sound on your iPhone, sometimes you don’t even know what you have done to cause the sound problem.
Whether you’re getting issues like iPhone will ring but speaker won’t work, or no sound for calls and app, you you try the fixes in this post to solve the no sound issue.
Sometime it seems hard to identify the no sound issue on your iPhone, but there are still solutions you can try to troubleshoot and fix the issue. So before taking your iPhone to the Apple Store, read on…
7 Fixes for No Sound on iPhone
- Force restart your iPhone
- Check the Sound Settings
- Check the Ring/Silent Switch
- Turn off Do Not Disturb mode
- Turn off Bluetooth
- Clean headphone jack and speaker
- Update iOS
- Reset All Settings
As many technical issues can be resolved by restarting the device, it’s worthy a try to force restart your iPhone to fix the no sound issue. A force restart won’t erase the content in your iPhone.
- If you’re using iPhone X, iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, press and quickly release the Volume Down button, then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo for seconds.
- If you’re using iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side button and Volume Down button for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
- If you’re using iPhone 6s and earlier: Press and hold both the Home button and the Top (or Side) button for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
Force restart can help you get the normal start up on your iPhone.
If some applications doesn’t have the sound in your iPhone, you should check the sound settings. The improper sound settings in your iPhone can cause the no sound issue. To do so, follow the steps below:
1) Go to Settings > Notifications, then tap the application that has no sound in your iPhone. For example, Facebook has no sound in my iPhone, so I tap Facebook.
2) Make sure to enable Allow Notifications, then tap to turn on Sounds.
Repeat these steps if there are other more applications that have the same issue.
If there is no sound on your iPhone, you should first check the Ring/Silent Switch on the side on your iPhone, as you may accidentally turn off the sound by switching the button.
You should switch the Ring/Silent button a few times and see whether there is sound from your iPhone.
Do Not Disturb mode will mute the notifications, calls and messages from your iPhone, so you won’t hear any sound when receiving calls or notifications.
You should check and make sure that Do Not Disturb mode is off.
Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb, and make sure Manually and Scheduled is off.
If the Do Not Disturb mode is on, you’ll see a crescent moon icon in the notification bar on the top of your screen.
If your iPhone is sending audio via Bluetooth, you won’t hear any sound. So you should make sure to turn off Bluetooth in your iPhone.
Go to Settings > Bluetooth, and make sure the Bluetooth is off.
If Bluetooth is on, you’ll see the Bluetooth icon in the notification bar on the top of your screen.
The dirt or dust inside your headset port or speaker can cause the no sound issue in your iPhone. So you can carefully clean the headphone jack and speaker with a toothbrush or Q-tip.
After cleaning, check if the sound is working.
The software issue can cause the no sound issue in your iPhone, such as the old iOS software. You should check for the iOS updates and keep your iPhone up to date.
Note that you need to connect to WiFi while installing iiOS updates.
1) Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
2) If there’s a new update available, tap Download and Install to update.
3) Follow the on-screen instructions to update iOS version to the latest one.
After updating, check if the sound in your iPhone works now.
Resetting your iPhone can help your iPhone back to the factory state, so before resetting, we recommend you to backup your iPhone in iTunes first.
1) Go to Settings > General > Reset.
2) Tap Reset All Settings, and enter your passcode to continue.
3) Tap Reset All Settings again to confirm.
Then follow the instructions on your screen to finish the process. After resetting, check your iPhone has any sound.
That’s it. Hope this post serves its purpose and help you fix no sound issue on iPhone. Feel free to add a comment below and share your experience.