Keep getting Unable to initialize graphics system error message? You’re definitely not alone. Don’t worry. No matter what game you’re playing, you can fix the problem with the following troubleshooting methods.
How to fix a graphics initialization failure?
- Method 1: Update your graphics driver
- Method 2: Run in compatibility mode
- Method 3: Change resolution settings
- Method 4: Repair corrupted system files
Method 1: Update your graphics driver
Drivers handle the communication between your computer hardware and your operating system, programs, and apps. Therefore, if your graphic driver is outdated or corrupt, your program may not be able to initialize your graphics system.
Since graphics drivers need regular updates to fix bugs, add new features, and improve performance for new PC games, you should always update your graphics driver to ensure a better game experience. Above all, it can prevent you from bumping into various crashing issues in the future.
Option 1— Update with Device Manager
To update your graphics card driver manually, you’ll first need to check the Device Manager for any updates. However, Windows won’t always find the latest driver for you. If Windows fails to find a newer one, you’ll need to find the exact graphics driver online (NVIDIA or AMD) and install it manually.
Option 2—Update All Your Drivers With Simple Clicks
If you don’t have the time, patience, or computer skills to update the graphics driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy—This is the quickest and easiest option. It’s all done with just a couple of mouse clicks—easy even if you’re a computer newbie.
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update to automatically download the correct version of this driver, then you can manually install it(you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All. You get full support and 30-day money back guarantee.)
4) Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
If the method doesn’t work, you can open Device Manager again, right-click your graphics driver and Disable it and restart your computer. Horrible as the method may seem, it has proved very useful for many users.
Method 2: Run in compatibility mode
Many users find it works by simply running the game in compatibility mode. To do it here is how:
1) Locate your game application in the installation folder.
2) Right-click the game and select Properties.
3) Choose the Compatibility tab.
4) Check the box under Compatibility mode and select what you want the game to be compatible with.
5) Tick the box next to Disable fullscreen optimizations and Run this program as administrator.
6) Click Apply > OK.
7) Launch your game to check if the game is working properly again.
Method 3: Change your display resolution settings
1) Try a different in-game resolution.
2) Right-click on your desktop and select Display settings. Change your desktop display resolution accordingly.
3) Try the various resolution options until the game launches successfully.
In conclusion, the main causes of this problem are driver issues, compatibility mode, and display resolutions.
Method 4: Repair corrupted system files
If none of the methods above work, there may be corrupted or damaged system files on your computer. They may trigger a variety of error messages related to hardware or security. To detect and fix them, you should perform an in-depth PC scan.
Fortect is a powerful Windows repair and optimization tool. It can detect a variety of hardware or security issues, and replace damaged files on your computer with correct and updated Windows files and components. It’s much like a fresh reinstallation of Windows, but keeps your programs, user data and settings as they are.
1) Download and install Fortect.
2) Open Fortect and click Yes to run a free scan of your PC.
3) Fortect will scan your computer thoroughly. This may take a few minutes.
4) Once done, you’ll see a detailed report of all the issues on your PC. To fix them automatically, click START REPAIR. This requires you to purchase the full version. But don’t worry. If Fortect doesn’t solve the issue, you can request a refund within 60 days.
Hopefully, one of the methods above works for you. Please feel free to leave a comment if you have questions or suggestions.