Fortnite is a world popular game released by Epic Games in 2017. It’s available on many platforms including PC, PS4 and iOS. But before you can play the game, you need to download it. If you’re a PC player, you may find it has slow download speed sometimes hang in mid-way. Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Fortunately, there are some methods to improve the slow Fortnite downloads.
Try these methods:
There’re 6 methods that have helped many gamers solve their problems. You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Restart your WiFi router
- Use a wire
- Stop bandwidth-hogging programs
- Update network driver
- Try IP configuration
- Change DNS server in your PC
Method 1: Restart your WiFi router
Since many technical problems can be resolved by restarting, it never hurts to restart your WiFi router and even your computer. Often this will be enough to fix the download speed slow problem.
It will rebuild a new connection for your computer by restarting, and that may have a better and more stable Internet connection. Also, your router’s firmware is playing an important role in downloading. So, remember updating your modem and router firmware before you restart your WiFi router. If you don’t have the latest, you may not be keeping up with the ISP’s upgrades.
Then try downloading again to see if it works.
Method 2: Use a wire
If the download speed is much slower than the speed that you expect from your plan, you should first test your Internet speed.
Then contact your ISP (Internet service provider) for the slow speed issue. If that’s your Internet plan, you should consider upgrading your plan to have a faster Internet. If not, it’s possibly due to the unstable Internet, you may change the WiFi to wire connection.
Or, use a VPN.
The download speed is often related to your ISP. If you’re tired of the low download speed but don’t want to change the ISP service plan, you can get a VPN to improve your download speed.
A good VPN (Virtual Private Network) can lead you passing by the ISP to reduce the speed loss and avoid the restrictions. It can protect your privacy as well.
You can use the VPN you already have, if you don’t have one, it’s recommended to use NordVPN.
NordVPN can bypass geo-restrictions to get all add-ons desired, keeps you protected from snooping eyes, and secures your data to keep your online activity private. It’s safe and easy to use!
- Download NordVPN in your device.
- Run NordVPN and open it.
- Connect to a server in a chosen location.
Method 3: Stop bandwidth-hogging programs
While you’re downloading, you should turn off the bandwidth-hogging programs in your computer, such as the loading webpages, videos that are playing, or the applications that require WiFi speed. In doing so, you can prevent some other applications or services from eating up your Internet, so you can have a faster download speed.
In addition, you’ll get the slow download speed if your computer is updating software or services in the background, so you’re recommended to set your computer to notify you before downloading any updates.
Method 4: Update network driver
A missing or outdated network driver can also lead to the download speed slow problem. You should make sure your network driver is up to date.
There are two ways you can update your driver: manually and automatically.
Option 1 – Manually– You’ll need some computer skills and patience to update your drivers this way, because you need to find exactly the right the driver online, download it and install it step by step.
Option 2 – Automatically (Recommended)– This is the quickest and easiest option. It’s all done with just a couple of mouse clicks – easy even if you’re a computer newbie.
Option 1 – Download and install the driver manually
You can download graphics drivers from the manufacturer official website. Search for the model you have and find the correct driver that suits your specific operating system. Then download the driver manually.
Option 2 – Automatically update drivers
If you don’t have time or patience to manually update your network drivers, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to the flagged driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Be sure to attach the URL of this article if needed for more expedient and efficient guidance.
Method 5: Try IP configuration
Sometimes your download speed is slow because of the improper IP configuration, so you can follow the instructions below to renew the IP address in your computer.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
- Type cmd and click OK to open Command Prompt.
- In Command Prompt, type the following commands, then press the Enter key after each command.
- Once completed, exit Command Prompt.
Restart your computer, then try downloading again and see if it works.
Method 6: Change DNS server in your PC
We access the information online through domain names. The web browsers, however, access Internet resources by IP (Internet Protocol) addresses.
DNS (Domain Name System) is the tool that translates the domain names to IP addresses so that your browser can load Internet resources.
Google Public DNS provides you with a speed boost and increased security. Try changing the DNS server in your PC to the Google Public DNS addresses to see if Netflix lagging issue can be resolved. Here is how to do it:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run box.
- Type control and press Enter to open the Control Panel.
- View the Control Panel by Category. Click View network status and tasks.
- In the pop-up window, click Change adapter settings.
- Right-click your current network and then select Properties.
- Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) to view its properties.
- Select Obtain an IP address automatically and Use the following DNS server addresses. For the Preferred DNS server, enter the Google Public DNS address: 220.127.116.11; for the Alternative DNS server, enter the Google Public DNS address: 18.104.22.168. Then click Ok to save the changes.
- Restart your PC and try downloading Fortnite again.
So there it is – six ways to fix Fortnite download slow issue. If you have any questions, feel free to add a comment below and let us know.