You can update drivers through Windows Update. But sometimes Windows Update may cause update errors. “Device driver software was not successfully installed” is one of the common Windows Update errors. If you receive this message while updating Microsoft Xbox One Controller driver, don’t worry, as you can fix the problem with one of the methods in this post.
There are two methods to fix the problem. Try them one by one until you fix the problem.
Uninstall the current installed driver in your computer then reconnect the Xbox One Controller. This is to allow Windows to reinstall the driver. Then you can update the driver again.
Follow these steps:
1) On your keyboard, press the Win+R (Windows key and R key) at the same time to invoke the run box.
2) Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter on your keyboard. This is to open Device Manager.
3) Expand category “Microsoft Xbox One Controller” and right click on the device. Then click Uninstall.
4) When prompted to confirm the uninstall, check “Delete the driver software for this device” if you see this option then click the OK button. If not, just click the OK button.
5) Unplug the Xbox One Controller.
6) Restart your PC.
7) Plug the controller again. Windows will install the driver automatically.
8) In Device Manager, right-click on the device and click Update Driver Software…
9) Click Search automatically for Updated driver software. Then Windows will install a new driver automatically.
IMPORTANT: To install the Microsoft Xbox One Controller driver successfully, ensure that you have installed the latest .net framework 4.5.
If Method 1 doesn’t work, you can use Driver Easy instead of Windows Update to update the driver automatically.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to a flagged Xbox driver to automatically download and install the correct version of this driver (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
If you have any questions, please feel free to leave your comments below. I’d be happy to answer your questions.