Your printer keeps printing blank pages? This is extremely annoying and you’re certainly not the only one who faces this issue! Many Windows users are reporting it. But the good news is that you can fix it. This article gives you 5 solutions to try.
Try these fixes:
You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Restart your printer
- Check your ink cartridges
- Update your printer driver
- Run the Windows printer troubleshooter
- Configure your Print Spooler service
Fix 1: Restart your printer
Sometimes, to fix your misbehaving printer, all you need to do is simply restarting it. Here is how:
1) Turn off your printer.
2) Unplug your printer power cable and wait for about 3 minutes.
3) Plug the power cable back into the power outlet.
4) Restart your printer to test your problem.
If your printer still prints blank pages, don’t fret. There are still 4 more fixes to try.
Fix 2: Check your ink cartridges
If your printer keeps printing blank pages, make sure that your cartridges are working fine. Here is what you should check:
Check whether your ink cartridges are clogged.
Blocked or clogged ink cartridges may prevent your printer from functioning properly. To fix your problem, you can clean your ink cartridges from the printer control panel or clean it manually.
Check the ink levels on your printer.
Low or empty cartridges can cause your printer to print blank pages. Check the ink levels on your printer and replace your cartridges if necessary.
Remove and reinstall your cartridges.
Defective or disconnected cartridges may also be the reason why your printer keeps printing blank pages.
Remove your cartridges to check if any of them are defective. If you find any damaged cartridges, replace it.
If all your cartridges are in good condition, your problem may be caused by a poor connection between your cartridges and your printer. To fix it, you’ll need to reinstall your cartridges.
Make sure your cartridges all work properly, then try printing a page. If your problem still exists, try the fix below.
Fix 3: Update your printer driver
Printer problems might occur if you’re using the wrong printer driver or it’s out of date. So you should update your printer driver to see if it fixes your problem.
There are two ways you can get the right driver for your printer:
Option 1 – Manually – You’ll need some computer skills and patience to update your drivers this way, because you need to find exactly the right the driver online, download it and install it step by step.
Option 2 – Automatically (Recommended) – This is the quickest and easiest option. It’s all done with just a couple of mouse clicks – easy even if you’re a computer newbie.
Option 1 – Download and install the driver manually
The manufacturer of your printer keeps updating drivers. To get them, you need to go to your printer manufacturer website, find the drivers corresponding with your specific flavor of Windows version (for example, Windows 32 bit) and download the driver manually.
Once you’ve downloaded the correct drivers for your system, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Option 2 – Automatically update your printer driver
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the printer driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
Fix 4: Run the Windows printer troubleshooter
Another quick fix to common printer issues is running the Windows printer troubleshooter. Here is how:
The printer troubleshooter is a Microsoft built-in utility that can detect and fix your printer issue automatically.
Follow the instructions below to see how to run the printer troubleshooter:
If you’re on Windows 7 or 8…
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key, and then type troubleshooting.
2) Select Troubleshooting.
3) Click Use a printer.
4) Click Next.
5) Wait for your computer to automatically detect your printer issue, and then follow the on-screen instructions to fix it. When the troubleshooting process is complete, print a page to see if your printer works correctly.
If no printer issue is identified, try fix 5.
If you’re on Windows 10…
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type troubleshooting.
2) Select Troubleshooting settings.
3) Click Printer, and then click Run the troubleshooter.
Try printing a page after the troubleshooting is complete. If your problem persists, read on and check the fix below.
Fix 5: Configure your Printer Spooler service
In some cases, damaged Printer Spooler files on your computer might be the reason why your printer keeps printing blank pages. If this your problem, configure your Printer Spooler service can help. Here is how:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type services.
2) Select Services.
3) Double-click Printer Spooler.
4) Click Stop, and then click OK.
5) Open Windows File Explorer (on your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and E at the same time).
6) Go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS, then delete all files in this folder.
7) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Then type services and select Services.
8) Double-click Printer Spooler
9) Click Start. Then, make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic and click OK.
10) Try printing a page to test your problem.
Hopefully, this article helped in resolving your problem. If you have any questions and suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.