Wdf01000.sys blue screen error [Fixed]
If you encounter the Wdf01000.sys blue screen error during program installation, while a specific program is running, while a Microsoft driver is being loaded, or during Windows startup or shutdown, you’re not alone. Many Windows users are reporting it — it’s very annoying and may happen again if you don’t deal with it now. But don’t worry, this article gives you 8 solutions to try. You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works.
What is Wdf01000.sys?
As Wdf01000 stands for Windows Driver Framework 01000, Wdf01000.sys is a Windows driver associated with the Windows Driver Framework that allows communication between hardware and connected devices.
The Wdf01000.sys blue screen error most often occurs after you’ve installed new hardware or software.
How to fix the Wdf01000.sys blue screen issue?
- Check for Windows updates
- Update your drivers
- Run System File Checker
- Run Check Disk
- Initiate a malware scan
- Reinstall a specific software
- Run the blue screen troubleshooter
- Restore Windows to a restore point
As Wdf01000.sys is a Windows driver, you can firstly try getting the latest Windows updates to fix the issue. To check for Windows updates:
- Type update in the Windows search box and select Check for updates or Windows update.
- Click Check for updates in the pop-up window.
- Install all identified updates to troubleshoot the issue.
Another practical solution is updating drivers. You should update all your drivers to the latest correct version and see if it helps fix the Wdf01000.sys blue screen error.
There are two ways to update your drivers — manually and automatically.
Manual driver update — You can update your drivers manually by going to the manufacturer’s website of each device on your PC, and searching for the most recent correct driver. Be sure to choose the driver that’s compatible with your exact device model and your version of Windows.
Automatic driver update — If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your sound card driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to a flagged device driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
Note: If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at email@example.com.
If the Wdf01000.sys error is being caused by corrupted or missing system files, then you may be able to fix it by running an SFC scan:
- Type cmd in the built-in search box.
- Right-click on Command Prompt, then select Run as administrator.
- Click Yes at the User Account Control prompt.
- Once Command Prompt is open, type the sfc /scannow command and press Enter on your keyboard.
Note: There’s a space between sfc and /scannow.
- When the verification reaches 100%, you’ll see something like this if issues were found and corrected:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
Then, restart your PC.
Running a Check Disk scan, on the other hand, can help resolve blue screen problems caused by hard drive corruption:
- Run Command Prompt as administrator, as mentioned in Fix 3.
- Type or copy-paste chkdsk /f /r, and press Enter on the keyboard.
- When asked “Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked next time the system restarts?”, enter Y.
- Close the Command Prompt window and restart your computer.
Malware is also a possible cause for your Wdf01000.sys problem. You can use Windows Defender to scan your system — to do so, type Windows Defender in the Windows search box and select the matching result.
If the Wdf01000.sys error occurs while you’re installing or running a specific software, uninstalling or reinstalling it might resolve the issue. You can uninstall the software via Control Panel:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo keyand R key simultaneously to open the Run box.
- Type control, and click OK.
Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
- Right-click on the software that you think might be causing the problem, and select Uninstall.
- If you want to continue to use the software, you can then download the latest version of it from the developer’s official website.
If you’re using Windows 10, you can also use the built-in Troubleshooter to help fix blue screen problems. Follow me:
- Press Windows+R on the keyboard to access Windows Settings.
- Click Update & Security.
- Click Troubleshoot.
- Under the Find and fix other problems section, click Blue Screen, and Run the troubleshooter to see if it can fix your problem.
If the above methods don’t work for you, there’s something else to try — restore your Windows PC to an earlier point in time, also called a restore point, to undo system changes and fix Wdf01000.sys. Here’s how to restore you system to a restore point:
- Type restore in the Windows search box and select Create a restore point or System Restore.
- When the System Restore window pops up, select Choose a different restore point and click Next.
- Check the box beside Show more restore points, and select a point in time when you remember your computer was last working properly, then click Next.
- Save any open files on your PC, then click Finish.
- Click Yes, and your PC will restart.
Just have a try now!
You’re welcome to leave a comment below to share your results or any other suggestions.