How to Install inf Drivers (Windows 10/7/8/XP/Vista)
After you spend time on searching drivers, you find what you are looking for, but unfortunately, there is no executable .exe file in the driver pack you downloaded. Now what to do? Is it possible to install a driver without installation file? Here you will learn 2 ways (one common way and one easier way) how to install the driver in this situation.
Driver can be downloaded from manufacturer’s website and is always as an exe or zip file. For exe file, you just need to double-click on the file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. For zip file, you need to unzip it first, after unzipping, you will find a Setup.exe file in the unzipped folder. Double-click on the setup file and follow the instructions to install the driver. So if the driver has an installation file, you can install it easily and quickly.
If the driver pack only contains inf file, you can choose one of 2 ways below to install the driver.
Here is the common way:
Install the driver manually step by step. Follow steps below:
1. Press Windows key and R (at the same time). A run dialog will appear. Type devmgmt.msc in run box. Click OK.
2. Expand the categories and locate the device you need to update driver for. Right-click on the device name. A context menu will pop up. Select Update Driver Software from the menu.
Following screen shot is for your reference.
3. Click Browse my computer for driver software.
4. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
5. Select the device from in the Model section. Click Have Disk…
6. Click Browse… button. Then find the folder where you saved the downloaded driver.
7. Windows will looking for .inf files in the folder to install the driver. After selecting the .inf file, click Open button. (If you can’t even find.inf files, the driver pack is not available.) Then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
You may need to reboot the system to make the update work. So after installing the driver, reboot the system.
To update the driver manually step by step, you need to have some computer skills. Even you know how to finish the installation in this way, it is time consuming. So you can use the easier way to install the driver.
Here is the easier way:
Download Driver Easy and use it to update all drivers in your computer.
Follow steps below to use Driver Easy Paid version to install drivers.
1. Click Scan Now button to detect all problem drivers in your computer.
2. Click Update All button to download and install the new drivers.