Oxygen Not Included keeps crashing while you’re gaming, or it constantly closes to desktop for no reason? This is extremely annoying and you are certainly alone. Many players are reporting it. But don’t panic! You can fix it. Here is a list of fixes that have proved useful to many players.
Why does Oxygen Not Included crash on my PC?
Common causes of game crashing issues include a faulty graphics driver, an outdated game version, improper in-game settings, and low RAM. Also, running multiple programs at the same time can hog your resources, causing your game to fail.
How to fix Oxygen Not Included crashing?
You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Meet the minimum system requirements
- Restart your computer
- Run your game as an administrator
- Run your game in compatibility mode
- Change branches in Oxygen Not Included
- Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime
- Update your graphics driver
- Check for Windows Updates
- Change the power plan on your computer
- Reinstall your game and/or Steam
Fix 1: Meet the minimum system requirements
The minimum system requirements are a listing of what hardware devices are required to operate your game properly. Oxygen Not Included crash issues occur when your computer fails to meet the minimum requirements to run the game.
So, you should check your computer hardware information to see if that’s the problem for you. Here is how to do it:
(Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system)
OS: Windows 7 (64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD 4600 (AMD or NVIDIA equivalent)
RAM: 2 GB available space
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run dialog.
2) Type dxdiag and click OK.
3) Check your operating system, processor and memory.
4) Click the Display tab, and then check your graphics card’s information.
If your computer meets the minimum requirements, read on and check the fix, below.
Fix 2: Restart your computer
Oxygen Not Included may crash when you’re running too many programs on your computer at the same time, hogging your resources. In this case, a simple reboot to end unwanted programs can fix your issue.
Relaunch your game after your computer restarts. If your problem still exists, try fix 3, below.
Fix 3: Run your game as an administrator
Steam sometimes may require administrator privileges to perform certain functions or to access certain files. Try running Steam as an administrator, then launch Oxygen Not Included from Steam client to see if that fixes your issue. Here is how to do it:
1) If you’re running Steam now, right-click the Steam icon on the taskbar and select Exit.
2) Right-click the Steam icon and select Run as administrator.
3) Click Yes.
4) Restart Oxygen Not Included from Steam.
Hope your game runs smoothly now. If it’s not, check the fix below.
Fix 4: Run your game in compatibility mode
Some Windows updates may not be compatible with Oxygen Not Included and cause it to stop working. If the crash occurs after you update your PC, try running your game in compatibility mode. Here is how to do it:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and E at the same time.
2) Paste C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Oxygen Not Included in the address bar.
3) Right-click OxygenNotIncluded.exe and select Properties.
4) Click the Compatibility tab. Then check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for.
5) Click the list box below to select Windows 8, then click OK.
6) Relaunch your game to check if your issue had been resolved.
If running your game in compatibility mode didn’t work for you, move on and try the next fix.
Fix 5: Change branches in Oxygen Not Included
If you’ve updated your game recently, and your game starts crashing now and then, try reverting your game version by changing your branch. Here is how to do it:
1) Run Steam.
2) Click Library.
3) Right-click Oxygen Not Included and select Properties.
4) Click the BETAS tab.
5) Click the list box to open the drop-down menu, select the name of the branch you want to play.
6) Click the Local Files tab, then click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES. ( Your game will be updated to the new branch, then.)
7) Relaunch and play Oxygen Not Included.
Hope you’re able to actually play the game now. If your problem persists, check the fix below.
Fix 6: Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable is a set of runtime library files used by many programs installed on your computer, even a part of Windows. If something wrong goes with it, some of your programs may not be able to function properly.
Oxygen Not Included crashing issues might happen when Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Runtime is not properly installed on your PC. In this case, you’ll need to reinstall it. Follow the instructions below:
1) Download Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 from the Microsoft website.
2) Open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 runtime.
3) Restart your computer and your game to test your issue.
This should fix your problem. If not, don’t fret. Check the fix below.
Fix 7: Update your Graphics driver
Another common cause of Oxygen Not Included crashing issues is an outdated or a faulty graphics driver. It’s essential that gamers have the latest graphics driver at all times to prevent or fix game issues.
There are two ways you can get the right driver for your graphics product:
Option 1 – Manually– You’ll need some computer skills and patience to update your drivers this way, because you need to find exactly the right the driver online, download it and install it step by step.
Option 2 – Automatically (Recommended)– This is the quickest and easiest option. It’s all done with just a couple of mouse clicks – easy even if you’re a computer newbie.
Option 1 – Download and install the driver manually
The manufacturer of your graphics card keeps updating drivers. To get them, you need to go to the manufacturer support website, find the driver corresponding with your specific flavor of Windows version (for example, Windows 32 bit) and download the driver manually.
Once you’ve downloaded the correct drivers for your system, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Option 2 – Automatically update your graphics driver
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your graphics driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version– you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
Fix 8: Check for Windows updates
Windows Updates can also address bugs related to both hardware and software. So make sure you’ve installed all the new Windows Updates to keep Oxygen Not Included from crashing. Here is how to do it:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Then, type windows update and select Windows Update settings.
2) Click Check for updates, and then wait for Windows to download and install the updates automatically.
3) Restart your computer.
If Oxygen Not Included crashing still happens after the update, try the fix below.
Fix 9: Change the power plan on your computer
Windows sets all computer to the Balanced power plan by default, so your computer may sometimes slow down to save energy, which may cause Oxygen Not Included to crash. Try changing your power plan to High Performance to see if that’s the problem for you. Here is how:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control panel.
2) Under View by, click Large icons.
3) Select Power Options.
4) Select High Performance.
Balanced: Balanced automatically adjust your CPU’s speed according to your computer’s need.
High Performance: High Performance mode keeps your PC running at high speeds most of the time. Your computer will generate more heat under this mode.
5) Restart your computer, and then relaunch Oxygen Not Included to test your problem.
Hope your game runs smoothly now. If it’s not, move on and try fix 10, below.
Fix 10: Reinstall your game and/or Steam
If none of the fixes above helped, reinstalling your game and/or Steam is very likely the solution to your issue. Here is how to do it:
Reinstall your game
1) If you’re running Steam now, right-click the Steam icon on the taskbar, and then select Exit.
2) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and E at the same time.
3) Paste C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common on the address bar.
4) Highlight the Oxygen Not Included folder, and then press the Del key on your keyboard to delete the folder.
5) Relaunch Steam to download and reinstall Oxygen Not Included. Then, try launching the game again to see if this fixed your problem.
If your game still crashes after reinstalling the game, you might also need reinstall Steam.
1) Right-click the Steam icon on your desktop and select Open file location.
2) Right-click the steamapps folder and select Copy. Then, place the copy in another location to back it up.
3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control. Then, click Control Panel.
4) Under View by, select Category.
5) Select Uninstall a program.
6) Right-click Steam, and then click Uninstall.
7) Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall Steam and wait for the process to be complete.
8) Download Steam.
9) Open the downloaded file and install Steam.
10) Right-click the Steam icon and select Open file location.
11) Move the backup steamapps folder you create before to your current directory location.
12) Relaunch Steam and your game.
Hopefully, you’re able to play Oxygen Not Included now. Enjoy your game! If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below.