The directory name is invalid Error [FIXED]
If you got a The directory name is invalid error randomly popping up on your computer, don’t panic. While this can be a little nagging, you can get rid of it quite easily…
Fixes For The directory name is invalid Error
The screenshots below are from Windows 10, but the fixes also work in Windows 8.1 and 7. You may not have to try all the fixes; just work your way down until the error goes away.
Sometimes the The directory name is invalid error message occurs simply because you’ve plugged your external devices in the dead USB port. You can plug them out and insert in another port to see if it fixes the The directory name is invalid problem. If not, move on to Fix 2.
An outdated/mismatched/missing disk driver or audio driver (or both)may well be another reason responsible for this annoying alert. So you should update these drivers to the latest to see if it fixes the issue. If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy.
You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- You can upgrade to the Pro version and click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of ALL the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system.
You can also click Update to do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
- Restart your computer and hopefully the The directory name is invalid error has been sorted.
Disk check is a useful in-built Windows tool that scans our hard disk and external drives for errors and fix them.
To do so:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and E at the same time, then click This PC.
- Right-click on Local Disk and click Properties.
- Click the Tools tab > Check.
- Click Scan drive.
- Follow the on-screen instructions for Windows to detect and fix the errors found.
- Restart your computer and see if it fixes the The directory name is invalid error message.
There you go – 3 easy fixes for your The directory name is invalid error message. Hope this helps and feel free to comment below if you have any further questions or ideas to share with us. 🙂