Many Acer laptop users have reported that the keyboard on their laptop can’t work properly — some of the keys are not responsive or all of them stops functioning.
This is a very annoying problem – and quite scary. You’re probably thinking, “I can’t even use my laptop without a keyboard! How am I supposed to fix a problem like this without one?”
But don’t panic! It’s possible to fix this problem – even without your keyboard. Here are four fixes you should try:
The simplest fix to your keyboard issue is to reboot your Acer laptop completely. To do so:
1) Press and hold the power button of your laptop until the laptop is totally off.
2) Unplug the power cable and the battery from your laptop.
3) Leave your laptop for a few seconds
4) Plug the power cable and the battery back to your laptop.
5) Power on your computer. Then check to see if this fixes your keyboard.
Filter Keys is a feature that makes your keyboard ignore brief or repeated keystrokes. It sometimes lead to a laptop keyboard not working issue. You can try disabling Filter Keys to sort this issue out.
1) Click the Start menu (the Windows logo) at the bottom left of your screen. Then click Settings (in Windows 10) or Control Panel (in Windows 7).
2) Click Ease of Access.
3) Click Keyboard (in Windows 10) or Make the keyboard easier to use (in Windows 7).
4) Disable the Filter Keys function (switch off Filter Keys or uncheck Turn on Filter Keys).
5) Try your keyboard and see if disabling Filter Keys can restore your keyboard.
Your keyboard may stop working if your are using the wrong keyboard driver or it is out of date. You should verify that your keyboard has the right driver, and update it if it doesn’t. If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update your driver maually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can download and install your drivers by using either Free or Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes only 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and Install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click on the Update button next to the keyboard to download the latest and correct driver for this device. You can also click the Update All button at the bottom right to automatically update all outdated or missing drivers on your computer (this requires the Pro version — you will be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
It is also possible that there are hardware problems with your Acer laptop keyboard. You can troubleshoot problems of this kind on your own or ask an expert for help.
Your laptop keyboard may not receive proper pressure on itself. You may need to remove the cover of your laptop, and then use a screwdriver to adjust the screws inside the laptop. This may do the trick.
Or you can just leave hardware issues to an expert. If your Acer laptop is still under warranty, it is recommended that you contact Acer support to have your keyboard repaired or your laptop replaced.