If you get an error message Another computer is using the printer when you try to print something, you’re not alone. Many people are reporting it. But the good news is you can fix it. The first step would be — to try restarting your printer and reconnecting it to your PC. If it produces no results, don’t worry, this article gives you 6 solutions to try. You may not have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works.
Try these fixes
- Restart the Print Spooler service
- Do a full power cycle
- Update your printer driver
- Set your printer as the default printer
- Check for Windows updates
- Scan your system
- On your keyboard, press the Windowskey and R at the same time to open the Run box.
- Type services.msc and click OK.
- Navigate to and select Print Spooler.
- Click Restart on the upper left to restart the Printer Spooler service.
- Check by printing something.
- )Turn off your computer, printer and Wi-Fi.
- Unplug your computer and printer.
- After a period of about 5 minutes, plug in both devices, turn them on and try connecting and printing something.
If the steps above don’t resolve your Another computer is using the printer problem, it may be caused by an outdated or a faulty printer driver. Then you can go to Device Manager to update your printer driver:
- Press Windows+R to invoke the Run box.
- Type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
- Open the Printers entry, right-click on your printer and select Update driver.
- Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to your printer driver to automatically download the correct version of it, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
- Restart your PC to check if the problem is resolved.
- Type printers in the Windows search box and select Printers & scanners.
- In the right pane, uncheck Let Windows manage my default printer.
- Under Printers & scanners, select the printer you want to use and click the Manage button.
- Click Set as default.
Click the Start button, then the Search icon in the upper right.
- Type printers and select Devices and Printers.
- In the Printers section, right-click on the printer you want to use and select Set as default printer.
- click the Start button, and Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on the printer you want to use and select Set as default printer.
The above are our recommended solutions to the Another computer is using the printer problem. Do they work for you? Leave a comment below to tell us the results or any other suggestions are welcome.