Fallout 4 Keyboard Not Working [FIXED]
Many Fallout 4 users are experiencing an issue with their keyboard. What happens is their keyboard is not working when they’re playing this game.
If you’re also experiencing this issue, you’re no doubt very frustrated. But don’t worry, it’s fixable…
Try these fixes
You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Restart Fallout 4
- Reconnect your keyboard
- Disconnect your controller
- Update your keyboard driver
- Disable all overlays
- Delete the Fallout4Prefs file
This is the first thing you should try when your keyboard is not working on Fallout 4. Just close the game and the program required to launch it (e.g. Steam), then restart them.
Now try your keyboard to see if it’s working properly. If not, move on to the next fix.
Perhaps there are temporary issues with your keyboard, so you can’t use it on your game. To fix this issue, you should try reconnecting your keyboard.
Disconnect your keyboard, then reconnect it back to your computer. After that, try using it on your game and see if your issue is fixed.
Hopefully it is. But if not, you should try Fix 3, below.
If there’s a controller connecting to your computer, it may be interrupting your keyboard input. To see if that’s the case for you, just disconnect the controller from your computer and see if this fixes your keyboard.
If not, don’t worry! There are still other fixes for you to try…
Your keyboard can’t work properly on your game if the drivers of your devices (keyboard, USB controller, etc) are wrong or out of date. You should make sure your drivers are up to date.
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to each device to download the correct version of its driver, then you can manually install it. Or click the Update All button at the bottom right to automatically update all the drivers. (This requires the Pro version — you will be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All. You get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee.)
Your keyboard issues may be caused by interference from other programs. To see if that’s the problem for you, you should check the programs on your computer for conflict issues.
You should especially pay attention to the following types of programs:
- Programs running in the background while gaming, such as Game DVR
- Overlay programs, including GeForce Experience, Steam Overlay, etc.
- Antivirus software or firewalls
Try turning these programs off temporarily to see if this helps you resolve your problem.
If this works for you, contact your software vendor and ask them for advice, or install a different solution.
You may be having issues with your preferences of Fallout 4, so your keyboard is not working properly. You should try removing the file to make the game recreate a new one. This helps you reset the preferences and fix your preference issue.
To do so:
- Close Fallout 4.
- Open File Explorer (by pressing the Windows logo key and E on your keyboard at the same time).
- Copy the following address and paste it to the address bar, then press Enter on your keyboard.
- Delete the Fallout4Prefs file (by right clicking it and clicking Delete)
Now run Fallout 4 and see if this fixed your keyboard issue.
Hopefully one of the fixes above worked for you. If you have any questions or suggestions, you’re more than welcome to leave us a comment below.