Solved: COM Surrogate has stopped working
Today when you browse your folders containing video/media files or try to print your files on your Windows computer, you’re prompted by this error: COM Surrogate has stopped working.
It’s frustrating, but there’s no need to panic. Usually it’s a easy problem to fix. In this guide, you’ll learn two easy and effective methods to fix this problem. Read on and find how…
Solution 1: Roll back your video driver
The COM Surrogate has stopped working problem is mainly caused by a wrong video driver on your Windows computer. You can probably fix it through rolling back your video driver. See how:
2) Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
4) Choose to view on Driver pane. Then click Roll Back Driver.
If the Roll Back Driver icon grayed out, you can download the previous version driver of your video card from your computer or video card manufacturer’s website or, alternatively, you can solve all your driver problems automatically through Driver Easy.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 steps (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
Note: You can do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
Solution 2: Add dllhost.exe to the DEP Exception
COM Surrogate is the executable host process(dllhost.exe) running background while you are browsing files or folders. Adding it to the DEP exception list could also help you fix your problem.
3) Click System when View by Large or Small icons. Then click Advanced system settings on the pop-up window.
4) Click Settings under Performance dialog.
6) Scroll down to find and double-click on dllhost.
Hopefully this articles helps you fix the problem. Feel free to comment below with your own experiences.