If you run into this headphones not detected in Windows 10/8/7 issue, don’t worry. Many users have reported the same.
Luckily they’ve successfully solved this woe with the 4 fixes below. So read on and check them out…
Try these fixes
The screenshots below are from Windows 10, but then fixes also work in Windows 8 and 7. Just work your way down the list until your computer picks up your headphones again.
- Check for hardware issues
- Run the Playing Audio troubleshooter
- Update your audio driver
Before addressing this headphone not detected on computer problem, we might have to look out for potential hardware issues.
- Insert your headphone into a different port. Sometimes this problem occurs simply because you’ve used the dead USB port. Try plugging your headphone into another port and see if it fixes the problem.
- Try your headphone on other devices. Again this is self-explanatory in troubleshooting in the headphone not being recognized in computer problem. If it still fails to work, you know your headphone is at fault.
We can try running the Windows built-in Playing Audio troubleshooter to approach this computer won’t recognize headphones problem.
To do so:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type troubleshoot. Then click on Troubleshoot.
- Click Playing Audio > Run the troubleshooter.
- Click Next.
- Choose Headphones and click Next.
- Click No, Do not open Audio Enhancements.
- Click Play test sounds.
- Click I didn’t hear anything if you didn’t hear a sound so that Windows will reinstall the audio driver for you.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to further troubleshoot the computer doesn’t recognize headphones issue.
If the playing audio troubleshooter fails, then chances are high that you have the corrupted/outdated/missing audio driver.
Fortunately, this is also one of the easiest problems to fix.
There’re two ways you can update your device drivers — manually or automatically. But the manual driver updating process can be time-consuming and risky, so we won’t be covering it here.
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- You can upgrade to the Pro version and click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of ALL the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system.
You can also click Update to do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual
- Restart your computer and hopefully your Windows 10/8/7 recognizes your headphones and plays sounds just fine by now.
Fix 4: Disable front panel jack detection and enable Multi-stream mode (For Realtek HD Audio Manager users only)
For Realtek HD Audio Manager users, sometimes the way that the Realtek software manages the panel jacks can interfere with the system and cause the computer not detecting headphones problem. So we can disable front panel jack detection and enable Multi-stream mode, as suggested by many users to see if it works.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type control panel. Then click on Control Panel.
- Type Realtek HD Audio Manager in the search box and click on Realtek HD Audio Manager once it pops up right under.
- Click on Device advanced settings and click Separate all input jacks as independent input devices, enable Multi-stream mode and click OK.
- Restart your computer and check if your computer detects your headphone successfully.
That’s it – 4 easy fixes for your Windows 10/8/7 not recognizing headphones problem. Hope you get your machine up and running and feel free to drop us a comment if you have any further questions or ideas to share with us. ?