FIX: Failed to Create D3D9 Device
If you’re seeing an “Failed to Create D3D9 Device” error, you’re not alone. Many gamers are having this issue when they’re opening their game. This error is annoying players of multiple games, including Rocket League, Paladins, Smite, etc. They can’t play anything because of this error!
But don’t worry. The following are a few methods that have helped many gamers fix this error.
Try these fixes
The error may occur because your game is displayed in a resolution that is not compatible with your hardware. You should change it to the resolution you are currently using on your computer.
To change your game resolution:
1) Open File Explorer (press the Windows logo key and E on your keyboard at the same time). Then go to where your game is installed and open the configuration file.
2) Change its resolution settings (usually they are “resX=” and “resY=“) to your current resolution.
3) Run your game and see if this gets rid of the error.
If you’re using Steam to run your game, you can launch it in windowed mode. Your game will be more likely to run in this mode and you can then change the resolution settings in your game:
1) Open your Steam client and go to Library.
2) Right click your problem game and click Properties.
3) Click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS.
4) Type “-windowed” and click OK.
5) Close the Properties window and open your game.
6) If you’re able to launch your game, change the resolution setting in it to your current resolution. If this works for you, you won’t see the error again.
You may get the “Failed to Create D3D9 Device” error because the DirectX Runtimes on your computer isn’t running properly. You should reinstall it and see if this resolves your problem. To do so:
1) Go to Microsoft’s DirectX End-User Runtimes download site.
2) Download the Runtimes to your computer.
3) Open the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your computer.
Another common cause of this error is that you may be using a wrong graphics driver or it’s out of date. You should update your graphics driver to get rid of driver issues. If you don’t have the time, patience and skills to update your driver, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can download and install your drivers by using either Free or Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes only 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to your graphics card to download the latest and correct driver for it. You can also click the Update All button at the bottom right to automatically update all outdated or missing drivers on your computer (this requires the Pro version — you will be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
4) Restart your computer and run your game. Then check to see if this method helps you get rid of your error.