Fix Keyboard Not Typing Issue on Windows 10, 7 & 8
It is very inconvenient if none key on your keyboard works. Keyboard not typing issue can be caused by many reasons. To fix the issue, you can try methods below. After that, your keyboard should work properly again.
Method 1: Try the keyboard on another computer
If the keyboard is broken, this issue would occur. If possible, use the keyboard on another computer. If it doesn’t work on another computer, the issue is caused by the keyboard. You might need to replace it with a new keyboard.
Method 2: Check if the keyboard is connected correctly
The error may be caused by a loose connection, so you can try checking the connection.
If you are using a USB keyboard, try unplugging it then plugging it back in.
If you are using a wireless keyboard, try troubleshooting the wireless connection.
Method 3: Plug the keyboard to another USB port (for USB keyboard only)
The USB port that you are using may be having problem. Try plugging the keyboard to another USB port and see if the error persists.
Method 4: Check keyboard batteries and wireless adapters (for wireless keyboard only)
If you are using a wireless keyboard, check and see if the batteries are down. Check if the keyboard is close enough to the wireless receiver. You need to make sure the keyboard is within 30 centimeters (1 foot) of the receiver. And make sure the wireless receiver is not being blocked.
IMPORTANT: Following methods need you to perform on Windows. Since the keyboard is not working, use a mouse to do the fixes.
Method 5: Update Drivers
The issue can be caused by faulty keyboard or wireless drivers. You can try updating the drivers.
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to a keyboard or wireless adapter driver to automatically download and install the correct version of this driver (you can do this with the FREE version). Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
We would try our best effort to help you fix the problem. In this case, you don’t need to spend more time on searching further solutions.
Method 6: Turn off Filter keys
The most common reason is that the Filter keys are turned on. If you are not sure where to check that in Windows, follow steps below and turn it off if you need.
1) Open Control Panel.
2) View by Category and click Ease of Access.
3) Click Change how your keyboard works.
4) Under “Make it easier to type”, if you see Turn on Filter Keys is selected, de-select it.
5) Click on Apply button then OK button.
Method 7: Login to Windows with a new user account
Create a new user account with administrative privilege. Login to Windows with it and see if the issue persists. If the keyboard works fine with new user account, it means there is problem with the other user account.
If you are not sure how to create a administrator user account, refer steps below. Note the detailed steps depends on the specific operating system and the workgroup that you are in.
1) Open Control Panel.
2) View by Category and select User Accounts.
3) Click Change account type.
4) Click Manage User Accounts.
5) Click Add button.
Then you just need to follow the on-screen instructions to create an administrator account.
Hope the methods here help you fix the keyboard not typing issue. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave your comments below.