If you’re on Windows and you see the error code 0x80070005 when you are to update your current Windows to a higher version, you’re not alone. In some cases, you might also see the message Access is denied next to it. But no worries, it’s possible to fix.
Here are 4 solutions for you to try. You may not have to try them all; just work your way down until you find the one works for you.
This problem can be caused by problems with your administrator rights. To fix it:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and click Control Panel.
2) View by Category, click User Accounts and Family Safety.
3) Click User Account.
4) Click Change your account type and enter your password if necessary.
5) Click the Start button and click Log off, then log back in again.
6) See if the operations are available now you have access as administrator. Try install your Windows Update now.
Faulty device drivers could be the cause of this problem, especially when you have the wrong network card driver installed. You should verify that all your devices have the right driver, and update those that don’t.
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to all flagged devices to automatically download and install the correct version of their drivers (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
SubInACL tool is designed to fix 0x8007005 Access is Denied error in Windows. Here is how you can use it:
1) Download SubInACL Tool and install it to the default path as instructed by the installer.
2) Open Notepad, copy and paste in the following commands:
echo Determine whether we are on an 32 or 64 bit machine
if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%"=="x86" if "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432%"=="" goto x86
if exist "%ProgramFilesPath%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\subinacl.exe" goto filesExist
echo ***ERROR*** - Could not find file %ProgramFilesPath%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\subinacl.exe. Double-check that SubInAcl is correctly installed and re-run this script.
pushd "%ProgramFilesPath%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl.exe /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl.exe /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl.exe /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl.exe /subdirectories %windir% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
echo Press any key to exit . . .
3) Go to File option on the left corner, and click Save As…
4) Save the file as Reset.cmd. Then click OK.
5) Right-click the Reset.cmd file and click Run as administrator.
6) Wait until the execution finished, then try to install the update again.
If you have installed antivirus software, please make sure that the antivirus database it already up to date. Then run the scan and and see if any virus or malware can be detected from your system.
If you haven’t installed any antivirus software, it is suggested that you download Microsoft Safety Scanner, which is totally free and can be used to scan your system for computer virus and malware.