Knockout City Season 2 is out only after 2 months of Season 1 launch! But many players have reported connection issues, with the error message saying “Unable to connect to the EA servers” or “A timeout error occurred.” While this could be frustrating, we’ve got some quick fixes for you.
Try these fixes…
You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that does the trick!
Fix 1: Check the server status
If you get the error message of being unable to connect to the server, the first thing you can check real quick is the server status. If the server is down, you won’t be able to connect to it and play the game. Usually when the server is down, the developers become aware of it very soon, so it won’t take long for them to fix it.
Here’s how to check the server status:
- Run your Origin client, and go to the Knockout City main page.
- At the top-right side of the page, you should see a Server Status icon. If it’s green, your server is online. But when it shows yellow or red, it means your server could be slow or down at the moment.
If you’ve checked the current server status and it seems fine, try the next fix.
Fix 2: Check your Internet connection
Another reason that you can’t connect to EA servers when you try to launch Knockout City is an unstable Internet connection. Here are a few things you can do:
- If you’re playing Knockout City on Wi-Fi, make sure there’s no overcrowding. That said, if your Wi-Fi is connected to multiple devices, disconnect the ones you don’t use at the moment. Simply turn off Wi-Fi on those devices will do.
(Also if possible, you can play on a wired connection. It’s usually more reliable and stable.)
- Try to power cycle your router and modem. Unplug the power cables from both devices, wait for at least 30 seconds, then plug the cables back into both devices. When your Internet is working again, check if your game still lags.
- If you have low-speed Internet, it could lead to an unstable Internet connection. You can google “Internet speed test” and pick a tool to test your Internet speed. However, when your Internet connection is unreasonably low, you should contact your Internet provider for help.
If your Internet connection doesn’t seem to be the problem, try the next fix.
Fix 3: Configure your DNS settings
When you use your ISP’s (Internet Service Provider) default DNS server, you might encounter issues like crowded cache, which could cause the server connection issue. There are two things you can do: flushing your DNS cache or switching to a public DNS server to solve the problem. We recommend trying both options:
1: Flush your DNS
By flushing your DNS, your DNS cache will be cleared. When your PC needs to access a website, it’ll need to obtain the address from the DNS server again. This may solve your problem if the DNS cache data was invalid or corrupt. Here’s how:
- Press the Windows logo key and R on your keyboard to invoke the Run box.
- Type cmd, then press Shift and Enter at the same time. If prompted for permission, click Yes.
- Copy ipconfig /flushdns, and paste it in the pop-up window. Then press Enter.
- Your DNS cache is successfully cleared.
2: Switch to a public DNS server
Like we mentioned above, ISP’s default DNS server can be slow or unstable. You can try switching to a public DNS server to solve the problem. We’ll use the Google DNS server as an example. Here’s how:
- On your taskbar, right-click the network icon, then click Open Network & Internet settings.
- Click Change adapter options.
- Right-click the network you’re using, then click Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), then click Properties.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses, fill in the Google DNS server addresses as below, then click OK.
Preferred DNS server: 18.104.22.168
Alternate DNS server: 22.214.171.124
If changing to a public DNS server doesn’t connect your game to the server, move on to the next fix.
Fix 4: Use a VPN
When Knockout City can’t connect to EA servers, it’s possible that your region is blocked. A quick way to test if your region has been blocked is to use a VPN. Just make sure you don’t use a free VPN, since it’s highly risky and could slow your connection down even more.
If you’re not sure what to use, try NordVPN. As a popular choice on the market, NordVPN provides full security and privacy, with lightning-fast speed and over 5000 servers in 60+ countries to choose from. Here’s how to set up NordVPN and test your server issue:
- Download the NordVPN client, and install it on your PC.
- Run NordVPN and log in to your account. If you don’t have an account, click Sign up. You’ll be directed to NordVPN’s webpage for the above actions.
- Once your account is ready, go back to the NordVpn app. Then click Quick connect.
- When the VPN connection is on, launch Knockout City to see if you can connect to the server now.
If using a VPN doesn’t connect your game to the servers, check out the next fix.
Fix 5: Update your network driver
When your network driver is faulty or outdated, you may notice that your connection is not stable. There can be compatibility issues that cause your network connection to become less reliable. By fixing your network driver, you should be less likely to encounter the server connection issue for Knockout City.
There are two ways you can get the right drivers for your network adapter: manually or automatically.
Manual driver update – You can update the network adapter driver via Device Manager. Just note that Windows doesn’t always give you the latest available update, so you may need to search on the manufacture’s website. Be sure to choose only the driver that’s compatible with your Windows version.
Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience, or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for your exact network adapter, and your Windows version, then it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the flagged network driver to automatically download the correct version of the driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Restart your PC for the new drivers to take effect. Run a game to see if the problem persists.
Fix 6: Make sure your game is updated
Sometimes the server connection issue could be a bug, and the developers would work on a fix for it. So you need to make sure your game is updated all the time.
By default, the Origin client automatically detects and installs new patches for your games, including Knockout City, so you don’t have to worry about it. However, if you turned off the automatic updating option previously, then you’ll need to manually check for game updates and install them.
Hopefully this article helps and you can connect to EA servers and enjoy a match on Knockout City! Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any question or suggestions.