Suddenly there’s no sound in your Skype when you’re going to have a video call or voice call with your friend? This is so frustrating. There are usually two situations for this sound issue: you can’t hear the sound from the other people, and you can’t be heard by the other people, or there’s no sound when playing videos. But don’t worry. Many people have resolved the Skype no sound issues with the solutions in this article.
How to fix no sound on SkypeHere are the solutions you can try. You don’t need to try them all; just work your way down the list until the sound in Skype works again.
- Troubleshoot the hardware issue
- Update Skype in your device
- Check the audio settings in your computer
- Update available drivers
- Modify the audio settings in your Skype
Step 1: Make sure the audio volume is not muteAs you may know, if your computer’s sound volume is set too low or muted, you can’t hear any sound from your Skype. You should click the sound volume on your desktop, and drag the slider to medium or peak, and test again to see if there is any sound from your Skype.
Step 2: Make sure microphone is onIf the microphone is turned off in your Windows computer, there’ll be no sound on your computer or from your Skype, so you should check and make sure the microphone is turned on. If you’re using Windows 10, 8.1 and 8: 1) On your keyboard, press the Windows log keyand I at the same time. 2) Click Privacy in Settings.
3) Click Microphone on the left, and make sure your microphone is turned on, and allow Skype to access microphone.
4) Also click on Camera (or Webcam), and make sure that it’s turned on and allow Skype to access camera.
If you’re using Windows 7: 1) Open Control Panel, and click Sound.
2) Click the Recording tab, and right click on the empty area in the window and check Show Disabled Devices.
3) Check if your microphone is listed on the window. 4) Right click on your microphone device, and select Enable.
5) Select your microphone to highlight it, and click Set Default. Then click OK to save the changes.
Step 3: Make sure the Windows Audio service is runningThe Windows Audio service manages audio for Windows-based programs. If this service is stopped, audio devices and effects won’t function properly, and so you won’t find any sound on your Skype. To check the Windows Audio service: 1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo keyand R at the same time. 2) Type services.msc and click OK.
3) Scroll down and double click Windows Audio.
4) Make sure the Startup type is Automatic, and the Service status is Running.
5) Restart your computer and try to Skype call again to see if the sound is working. The missing or outdated drivers for your microphone/headset or your camera can cause the no sound issue in your computer. So you should verify that the drivers in your computer are up to date, and update those that aren’t. There are two ways to update drivers: manually and automatically. Manually update drivers: you can manually search for the latest version of the device driver from the manufacturer, then download and install it in your computer. This requires time and computer skills. As the device driver vary from devices and manufacturers, so we won’t cover it here, and we recommend this method if you’re confident with your computer skills. Automatically update drivers: if you don’t have time or patience, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version, it takes just 2 clicks (and you will get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee). 1) Download and install Driver Easy. 2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the flagged driver to automatically download the correct version of the driver (you can do this with the FREE version), and install the driver in your computer. Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
4) Restart your computer to take effect, and check if there’s any sound in your Skype. The improper audio settings in your Skype can also cause the no sound issue in Skype, you should check the following settings: 1) Make sure to allow calls from anyone. This eliminates failing to call if the person isn’t in your contact list. 2) Make sure to detect Speakers and Microphone in the Audio settings. If one of the audio devices is not detected, you’ll have the no sound issue. 3) Try to switch the Speakers or Microphone from the detected device, and see if it works. That’s it. Hope this post helps in resolving the Skype no sound issue in your computer. Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions.