Windows Smartscreen is an in-built Windows application that automatically scans and blocks dangerous content to protect your computer. You may have installed other antivirus software, but Smartscreeen could provide additional protection.
So when you see the error message: Windows SmartScreen can’t be reached right now, you need to fix this problem to keep protecting your computer from malware and viruses.
Try these fixes:
You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
Fix 1: Check your internet connection
This is a common problem when running the Windows SmartScreen filter. Because the Windows SmartScreen needs stable internet to work properly, so you’ll see the error message when your internet is not connected.
You can check your internet speed with Fortect to find out which issue slows your internet connection.
Fix 2: Check SmartScreen Settings
Sometimes the issue is caused by changing settings. It’s possible that you’ve changed your settings and forgotten. So check SmartScreen Settings, and make sure they were set to default.
- Type app & browser control in the search bar and press the Enter key.
- Make sure Check apps and files; SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge and SmartScreen for Windows Store apps were all Warn.
Fix 3: Turn on SmartScreen
In some cases, the error message is because the Windows SmartScreen is disabled. Here’s how to enable it.
- Press the Windows logo key + R together to open the Run box.
- Type gpedit.msc and press the Enter key.
- Navigate to Configure Windows Defender SmartScreen by following this route: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > File Explorer.
- In the right pane, double click Configure Windows Defender SmartScreen.
- Click Enabled and then click OK.
Fix 4: Scan your system
Do a full virus scan if the above fixes don’t help. It’s because some virus or malware could be the culprit. The Windows SmartScreen might be disabled or changed permission by viruses. Therefore, running a full scan could help you protect your computer.
We hope you find the above information helpful. And if you have any ideas, suggestions, or questions, feel free to leave a comment below.