How to Block Websites on Chrome Easily [Solved]
Chrome is no doubt a popular and nice browser for you to look for what you’re interested. But when it gives you much convenience through the wonderful sites, , it also comes with some trouble. Some sites may be unwanted, unsafe or make your work less productively.
In these cases, you may want to block some websites to keep yourself focus on work or keep your children safe through the Internet.
Here’re 5 easy and quick ways to block any websites you want to pay no time on. Read over and try the one you prefer to block the website.
Way 1: Using the Restricted sites feature in your Chrome settings
Way 2: Editing your Windows Hosts file
Way 3: Adding an blocking-website extension in Chrome
Way 4: Creating a supervised account in Chrome
Way 5: Installing a parental control software
The most direct way to block a website is to add it to the Restricted sites in your Chrome. This way requires no extra extension or third-party software.
It’s easy to set:
1) Open Chrome on your computer.
2) Click the more options button on the top right of Chrome. Then select Settings.
3) Click Advanced at the bottom.
4) Click Open proxy settings in the System section.
5) Click the Security tab, then select Restricted sites > Sites.
6) Enter the site you want to block, then click Add. The site should then be listed in the Websites box. Click Close.
8) Clear you browsing data on Chrome, then restart Chrome. You can’t access the website you set then.
Note: Next time when you want to access the websites you’ve blocked, enter this Restricted sites window through the same step 1) -5), then click the site in the Websites box, and Remove.
If you’re familiar with using computer and you’re on Windows, you can also block websites through editing your Windows Host file. Note: The websites are blocked on the specific computer from all the browsers.
Please follow these:
1) Copy the following path and paste in the search box from the Start menu.
2) On your keyboard, press Enter.
3) Right-click on the hosts file, then click Open with, select Notepad. If you have Notepad++, choose it like as I do.
4) On the bottom of the file, type 127.0.0.1 and add the website name you want to block after one space. For example, if you want to block the Facebook website on Chrome, type this: 127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com
Important: Remember not to put in a # before 127.0.0.1. If there’re other websites you want to block, enter your 2nd address after 127.0.0.2, and so on.
5) Run Chrome on your computer and type the website address you set, you should then find it can’t be accessed.
Note: Next time when you want to access the websites you’ve blocked, open your hosts file through the same step 1) -3) and delete the number and website.
Another popular way to block websites is to add an extension in Chrome. Here we will show you how to add one of the blocking-website extension — Block site:
1) Run Chrome and type chrome://extensions in the address bar.
2) You should then see the extension page. Scroll down to the bottom, then click Get more extensions.
3) Enter block in the search box. Then click ADD TO CHROME next to Block site.
4) Click Add extension to continue.
5) Back on the extension page and click F5 to reload the site. Then click Options under Block site.
6) Enter the website address you want to block. Then click ADD PAGE.
7) Try to access the website on Chrome. You should then see a page like this:
Note: Next time when you want to access the websites you’ve blocked, go to the Options of Block site, click the delete icon next to the site.
If you want to keep your children surfing safely, the following Way 4 and Way 5 are your best choice to own parental control on your children’s accounts.
If you want to set family safty settings on your kid’s Google account, you can make a supervised profile to limit the websites he can access.
1) Run Chrome and log in your Google account.
2) Click your account name and select Manage people.
3) Click ADD PERSON.
4) On the Add person page, you can set the name for your kid’s Google account, and his profile image. Then tick on Supervise the person to control and view the websites then visit from your Google account and choose your Google account from the drop-down menu. Click Save.
5) Click www.chrome.com/manage to manage the account you set.
6) Choose the account you set before and then Manage.
7) Enter the domain or the website address into the box and click OK.
8) Rerun Chrome, and log in your kid’s account, he can’t access the website now.
Another way to get parental control on your kid’s account: you can install a parental control software, like the well-known one: Net Nanny. You can add any websites you want to block to the software’s blacklist.