Still not used to the small screen on your laptop? You may be thinking of connecting an external monitor to your laptop. In fact, this is very easy. Follow the steps below, and you’ll set up an external monitor on your laptop very quickly.
To connect a monitor to your laptop
- Make sure there are compatible ports for video connection on both your monitor and laptop.
The common video connection standards include:Usually, you’ll find the same video ports on your monitor and your laptop. But if not, you may need to get a video output adapter to convert your video signal so you can set up connection with different ports.
- Turn off your laptop and monitor, then connect them with a video cable that’s compatible with your ports.
- Turn on your laptop and monitor.
You should see that your external monitor is working on your laptop. If not, restart your computer. If the problem persists, try the fixes here.
If you’re not satisfied with the current display settings, you can change it with the steps below.
Change your multiple display settings
You may want to change how these two screens display your content. Here’s how you can do it:
- On your desktop, right click an empty area, then click Display settings (or Screen resolution if you’re on Windows 7).
- Click the Detect button to make sure both your screens are recognized by your operating system.If there’s only one screen detected, restart your laptop and try the Detect button in your multiple display settings again. If the problem persists, try the fixes here.
- Click the Identify button to see which display is your first display (the screen with the number 1) and which is your second (the number 2).
- Change your display settings. What you can change are as follows:
- Select and drag your two displays to rearrange them if you don’t like the current screen arrangement.
- Configure your screen resolution and orientation.
- Select a multiple display mode from the Multiple displays drop-down menu.
- Duplicate these displays— Displaying the same content on both screens.
- Extend these displays— Using both screens to display an extended desktop.
- Show (desktop) only on 1 — Only using the first monitor.
- Show (desktop) only on 2 — Only using the second monitor.
- Check Make this my main display to make the currently selected screen your main display (the display that shows your program shortcuts).
Now you’ve configured your multiple display settings. You can now enjoy your external monitor. But if you have any issue with your external monitor setup, try the fixes below.
If one (or both) of your screens is not working properly, there are a few fixes you should try:
- Make sure you’ve correctly connect your monitor to your power socket.
- Replace your video cable or try a different video port. This will help you resolve any problems due to your cable or ports.
- If you’re using a video output adapter, use a different adapter or try to connect your monitor directly to your laptop.
- Try updating your graphics driver. Your screens may not be working properly if you’re using a wrong graphics driver or it’s out of date. You should update it and see if that’s the case for you.If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update your graphics driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can download and install your drivers by using either Free or Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes only 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
i. Download and install Driver Easy.
ii. Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
iii. Click the Update button next to your graphics adapter to download the latest and correct driver for it, then you can manually install it. You can also click the Update All button at the bottom right to automatically update all outdated or missing drivers on your computer (this requires the Pro version — you will be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).If you have any issues with Driver Easy, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org for advice. You should attach the URL of this article so they can help you better.
If you have any questions, leave us a comment below.