How to Connect PS4 Controller to PS3 (Wired and Wirelessly)
If your PS3 controller is not working any more, you may just want to purchase a new controller (DualShock 4) rather than a new console. Your question now may be if PS4 controller is compatible with PS3 console, and how to connect a new controller to the previous console.
Sony had announced PS4 controller was compatible with PS3 console not long after PS4 was launched. But you had to connect with a USB cable. Now you can also connect wirelessly. In this article, I’ll show you how to pair your PS4 controller to PS3 console wired and wirelessly.
Connect PS4 controller to PS3 console through wire
It’s very simple to connect PS4 controller to PS3 console through wire. You just need to prepare a USB cable. The USB cable should be able to plug to the PS4 controller and the PS3 console at the same time. A USB 2.0 A to USB Micro B cable is what you’ll need.
Then plug the cable to the controller and the console. Once the controller and the console are connected, the controller will be paired automatically. You can check it by playing games with the PS4 controller on PS3 console.
Connect PS4 controller to PS3 console wirelessly
If you prefer to play games wirelessly, you can choose to connect the PS4 controller to the console through bluetooth.
Before you start, you need to ensure the system software of your PS3 has the version 4.6 or higher installed, or PS4 controller cannot be connected to PS3. To check the system software version, you can go to Settings > System Settings > System Software. The current version of Sony released is 4.82. If you want, go to their website to download the latest version: Download here.
Then follow steps below to pair the controller:
1) Connect the controller to the console with a USB cable (a USB 2.0 A to USB Micro B cable).
2) Turn on the controller and the console.
3) In the XMB menu, go to Settings > Accessory settings.
4) Select Manage Bluetooth Devices.
5) If you don’t have other bluetooth device paired, you’ll see the message: The Bluetooth device has not been registered. Do you want to register it? In this case, highlight Yes and press the X button on the controller.
If some bluetooth devices have been paired, you’ll be prompted to pair a new bluetooth device. Highlight Register Now Device and press the X button on your controller.
6) Highlight Start Scanning and press the X button, then the system will scan available bluetooth devices to pair. You’ll expect the connected PS4 controller will be detected.
5) Disconnect PS4 controller.
6) While scanning, press the PS button and the Share button on the PS4 controller at the same time.
7) When the light of the controller flashes quickly, plug the controller back in and select Wireless Controller.
8) When the registration completes, unplug the controller again.
9) Check to see if you can play games with PS4 controller on the PS3 console.
Hope the tips help you connect the PS4 controller to the PS3 console successfully. If you have any questions, please leave your comments. I’d love to hear of any ideas and suggestions.