You may not try them all; just work from the top down until you find the one that does the trick.
- Run Discord without the administrator rights
- Add Discord as an exception to your antivirus
- Configure the Quality Windows Audio Video Experience service
- Reinstall Discord
Fix 1 – Run Discord without the administrator rights
1) Right-click Discord and click Properties.
2) Click the Compatibility tab. Then, make sure to uncheck Run this program as an administrator, and click OK.
Fix 2 – Add Discord as an exception to your antivirus
1) Go to the virus chest of your anti-virus program and see if any Discord files are blocked.
2) If yes, restore these files and add them to the exclusion list. Then, navigate to the exclusion section, and whitelist all files related to Discord as well as the installation file.
Fix 3 – Configure the Quality Windows Audio Video Experience service
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run box. Then, type services.msc and click OK.
2) Right-click Quality Windows Audio Video Experience. Then, click Start if it isn’t running.
3) Right-click Quality Windows Audio Video Experience, and click Properties.
4) Select Automatic from the drop-down menu next to Startup type. Then, click OK.
Open Discord to test if the issue goes away. If the problem persists, continue with the next solution.
Fix 4 – Reinstall Discord
If none of the fixes above works for you, you should consider a clean reinstallation of the app. Follow the steps to get a fresh copy of Discord:
1) Type control panel in the search box, and click Control Panel.
2) Under View by, select Category. Then, click Uninstall a program.
3) Right-click Discord, and click Uninstall.
4) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run box. Then, type %appdata% in the field, and click OK.
5) If you see the Discord folder, right-click it and click Delete.
6) Press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run box again. Then, type %localappdata%, and click OK.
7) If you see the Discord folder, right-click it and click Delete.
Make sure to remove Discord and all the remaining files. Then, you can download and install the latest version of Discord to your computer, and it should be working without any errors.
Bonus tip: Update your device drivers
If you constantly run into issues with Discord, such as a black screen or mic not working, it’s possible that your device drivers are missing, faulty or outdated, and you should keep them up-to-date at all times.
Option 1 – Download and install the drivers manually
You can get the latest device drivers directly from the manufacturers’ websites, but be sure to choose only drivers that are compatible with your Windows version.
Once you’ve downloaded the correct drivers for your system, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Option 2 – Automatically update your device drivers
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your device drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the flagged device driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
If you need assistance, please contact Driver Easy’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.