Games crashes are not something uncommon. And you might encounter the same issue while playing the popular Halo 3. That’s pretty frustrating, right? Don’t worry, you can try these simple fixes in this article to rule out the causes.
Try these fixes
Here’s a list of fixes that you can try when you do some troubleshooting. You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Stop apps from running in the background
- Temporarily disable the antivirus software
- Update your video drivers
- Perform a clean boot
- Run Halo 3 as administrator
- Install the latest game patch
- Verify integrity of game files
Before getting started
Halo 3 could be crashing because you’re running it beyond your computer’s abilities. So make sure your computer meets the requirements for the game.
|OS||Windows 7 x64-based|
|CPU||Intel Core i7-975 | AMD A 12-9800 APU|
|GPU||GeForce GTS 450 | Radeon R7 Graphics|
|Storage||55 GB available|
If your computer meets these requirements but still Halo 3 doesn’t launch properly, try the methods below.
Fix 1: Stop apps from running in the background
Generally, game crashes because it’s running out of memory or overheating. So to save the data usage and system resources, you can stop some apps from running in the background following these steps:
1) On the left end of the taskbar, click the Start icon and then click Settings.
2) Click Privacy.
3) Scroll down and under the App permissions section, click Background apps.
4) You can stop all the apps from running in the background with just one click by switching Let apps run in the background to Off. But before you do this, make sure you’ve saved your files you’re currently editing.
Under the Choose which apps can run in the background section, manually select the ones you want to stop.
After you free up disk space on your computer by disabling some apps from running in the background and still it doesn’t fix the problem of game crashing, then don’t worry, there are a few other fixes you can try.
Fix 2: Temporarily disable antivirus software
There will be conflicts between antivirus scans and you enjoying your games. To avoid this, you’re supposed to try temporarily disabling your antivirus software.
Click the links below and follow the instructions to disable the antivirus software you’re running:
Fix 3: Update your video drivers
There are two options you can choose to update your video drivers.
Option 1 – Manually – You can update the video drivers by clicking the links based on your needs.
Option 2 – Automatically (recommended) – This is the quickest and easiest option. It’s all done with just a couple of mouse clicks.
If you don’t feel like updating the drivers all by yourself, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy. It’s a tool that detects, downloads and installs the correct versions of drivers that your computer needs.
You can follow the steps below:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the video driver to automatically download the correct version of that driver, then you can manually install it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version with full support and 30-day money-back guarantee and You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
4) Restart your computer and check if you can launch Halo 3.
Fix 4: Perform a clean boot
Your game might suddenly close without giving you any error message. If you’re experiencing this kind of issue even after updating the graphics drivers, then we suggest you try performing Clean Boot. It can be a great way to troubleshoot for the Halo 3 crashing issues.
To do so:
1) Press Windows logo key and R together on your keyboard to open the Run box.
2) Type msconfig and click OK.
3) Select the Services tab.
Then click Hide all Microsoft services and click Disable all.
4) On the same window, select Startup tab and then click Open Task Manager.
5) Under the Startup tab in Task Manager window, right-click on each Enabled Startup item, then click Disable. After that, close the window.
6) Under the Startup tab of System Configuration, click OK.
7) Restart your computer and it’ll be in a clean boot environment.
Fix 5: Run Halo 3 as an administrator
If you’ve tried all the fixes above and still haven’t resolved the Halo 3 crashing issue, then you should try running the game as an administrator.
1) Right-click the Halo 3 icon on your desktop and select Properties.
2) Click the Compatibility tab and click Run this program as an administrator. Click Apply and OK.
3) Go to the directory where you installed Halo 3, and run the .exe file as administrator as well.
4) Relaunch Halo 3.
If the problem still persists, then try the next fix.
Fix 6: Install the latest game patch
When a new game is released, there are still many bugs in it. And those bugs might cause the game crashing issues. So developers keep updating the games to fix the bugs and improve the gaming performance.
So if there is a patch available, download and install it, then run the game again to check if the problem is solved. If it isn’t, or there is no new patch available, then move on to Fix 7.
Fix 7: Verify integrity of game files
Halo 3 is available on PC through Steam. But players have been experiencing sudden crashes in Halo 3 on Steam. It can be caused by a bad game cache, so you need to ensure that the integrity of game files is intact.
1) Run Steam
2) Click the LIBRARY tab.
3) Right-click Halo 3 and select Properties.
4) Under the LOCAL FILES tab, click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE….
Files verification may take several minutes. Once the process is completed, the window will automatically exit. Till then, relaunch your game.
If the issues haven’t been resloved after you tried all the methods, you can consider uninstalling and reinstalling the game.
Hopefully, this post helps you solve the Halo 3 crashing issues and you can have a playful experience! If you have any new ideas or questions, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below. 😊