How to Fix Steam_api64.dll Missing Error
Many Steam users are having an issue with their game. What happens is an error message pops up when they open their game on Steam that says:
- The problem can’t start because steam_api64.dll is missing from your computer.
- The code execution cannot proceed because steam_api64.dll was not found.
This is a very annoying issue. You can‘t play your game because of this error. You may not know how to fix it, and probably you don’t even know what the missing file is!
But don’t worry! The following are an explanation of the missing file and a few solutions that have helped many other Steam users restore the missing file.
What is steam_api64.dll?
Steam_api64.dll is a component of the Steam program. It is required by some Steam games to access Steam features and functionalities (such as anti-cheat and digital rights protection) so that they can run properly.
Fixes to try
These are the fixes you can try. You don’t have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Verify your game files
- Reinstall your game
- Restore the steam_api64.dll file
- Copy the same file from another computer
- BONUS TIP: Update your device drivers
You can verify your game files on your Steam program to restore the missing steam_api64.dll file. To do so
- On your Steam, click LIBRARY.
- Right click your game, then click Properties.
- Click the LOCAL FILES tab, then click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES. After that, click CLOSE.
Now launch your game and see if this restores your missing game file and fix your error.
You may also need to reinstall your game to repair the missing steam_api64.dll file. To reinstall your game on Steam:
- On your Steam, click LIBRARY.
- Right click your game, then click Uninstall.
- Click Delete.
- Click STORE, then search the game you’ve deleted.
- Click Play Now.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the game.
Now check to see if this fixed your error.
You can also fix your steam_api64.dll missing issue by restoring the file from a reliable source. To do so, you can use the DLL‑files.com Client.
The DLL-files.com Client will fix your DLL error in one click. You don’t have to know what system is running on your computer, and you don’t need to worry about downloading the wrong file. The DLL-files.com handles it all for you.
To use the DLL-files.com Client:
- Download and install the DLL-files.com Client.
- Run the Client.
- Type “steam_api64” in the search box and click the Search for DLL file button.
- Click steam_api64.dll.
- Click the Install button. (You’re required to register the program before you can install this file — you’ll be prompted when you click Install.)
Now check to see if this fixed your dll file missing issue.
You can also try copying the missing file from another computer. To fix your issue, you should make sure the computer:
- Runs the same operating system as your computer does;
- Has the same game installed.
To check if the other computer has the same operating system:
- On your own computer, click the Start menu in the lower left corner of your screen. Then type “cmd“, right click Command Prompt in the result, and click Run as administrator.
- Type “control /name microsoft.system” and press Enter on your keyboard.
- Do the step 1 to 2 for the other computer.
- Make sure the Windows editions and system types of both computers are the same. (If not, it’s recommended that you find another computer.)
To copy steam_api64.dll:
- On the other computer, open File Explorer (by pressing the Windows logo key and E on your keyboard), then go to the folder where Steam is installed. (By default, it is C:\Program Files\Steam.)
- Type “steam_api64.dll” in the search box.
- Copy the steam_api64.dll file and paste it to a flash drive or an external hard drive.
You should check the location of the file you choose and make sure it is in the directory of the game. And you should also remember the location, as you’ll need to paste the file to the exact same location on your computer.
- On your computer, go to where your Steam is installed, then paste the file to the same location as where you copied the file on the other computer.
Now launch your game. If this method helps you, you won’t see the steam_api64.dll missing error again.
If you got this error when playing a game, you should also check that all your device drivers are up to date. This won’t fix the error, but it will help stabilize your system, generally. If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update your drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can download and install your drivers by using either Free or Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes only 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to each device to download the latest and correct driver for it. You can also click the Update All button at the bottom right to automatically update all outdated or missing drivers on your computer (this requires the Pro version — you will be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
- Restart your computer.