If you’d like to install mods for Skyrim on PC, you can follow the instructions below. Follow the guide, then you can install any mods you want for Skyrim.
There are multiple methods to install mods for Skyrim. Below we’ll introduce the most common method to you. The method is using the Nexus Mod Manager to install the mods for Skyrim. We assume you’ve installed Skyrim on your computer. If not, go to Bethesda.net and purchase the game.
How to install mods for Skyrim on PC
Follow these steps to install mods for Skyrim on PC. Before you install mods, you need to download some necessary tools like LOOT to make the game play stably, so each step below is necessary.
Step 1: Download SKSE (Skyrim Script Extension)
SKSE is a necessary plugin for most of the Skyrim mods. So we recommend you to download it first before you install mods. After downloading SKSE, you need to copy its folder to the Skyrim directory folder.
Follow these steps to download SKSE and copy its folder to Skyrim:
1) Go to http://skse.silverlock.org/.
2) Download the ‘7z archive’. The downloaded file could be named as ‘skse_version’, for example, skse_1_07_03.7z.
3) Unzip the downloaded file to your computer. You can use the 7-Zip utility to unzip the file. If you don’t have 7-Zip installed on your computer, you can go to 7-zip.org to download the program.
4) Open the extracted folder. Copy and paste all the subfolders and files to the Skyrim directory folder. The default directory folder could be “C:\Program Files (x86)\Skyrim” if you don’t change the directory when installing the game.
When copying, a window will pop up to ask you to confirm the Data folder replace. Just click Yes. Then the Data folder in skse will merge with the Data Folder in Skyrim directory folder.
5) You’ll see the application file “skse_loader.exe” in the Skyrim directory. To play Skyrim in the future, you just need to run this file.
Step 2: Download LOOT (The Load Order Optimisation Tool)
If you’ve installed more than one mods for Skyrim, the order to load the mods can influence the game stability. Some mods can be overwritten by other mods. So it’s important to set the right load orders for mods. LOOT is a tool that helps set the right load orders for Skyrim mods. With LOOT, you don’t need to worry that installed mods have wrong load orders. With LOOT, you can enjoy a stable modded game.
Here’s how to download LOOT:
2) Click DOWNLOAD LOOT.
3) Download the .7z file. The file name could be loot_version_*.7z, for example loot_0.14.4-0-gec99692_dev.7z.
3) Use 7-Zip to extract the downloaded file.
4) Copy the extracted folder to the Skyrim directory folder (The default Skyrim directory folder is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Skyrim”.).
Step 3: Download FNIS (Fores New Idles in Skyrim)
FNIS is also an important mod to keep the game stable. It allows you to add different types of animations to the game and make the animations clear.
Here’s how to download FNIS and install FNIS manually:
1) Go to FNIS page in nexusmods.com. To download a mod from nexusmods.com, you need to register an account first.
2) Click the MANUAL button to download the mod. The name of the downloaded file could be as FNIS Behavior version, for example, FNIS Behavior 7.4.5.
3) Use 7-Zip to extract the downloaded mod file.
4) Open the extracted folder, then you’ll see a subfolder named Data. Copy and paste the Data folder to the Skyrim directory folder (The default Skyrim directory folder is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Skyrim”.).
When copying, a window will pop up to ask you to confirm the Data folder replace. Just click Yes. Then the Data folder in FNIS will merge with the Data Folder in Skyrim directory folder.
Step 4: Install Nexus Mod Manager
Nexus Mod Manager is a mod manager developed by Bethesda.net, which allows you to install and uninstall mods easily.
Just click Download Nexus Mod Manager to download the program. After the download completes, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install it on your computer.
The first time you launch Nexus Mod Manager, the program will scan your computer to detect any installed games. Once it detects Skyrim, you can choose to stop the scanning and access the user interface of the program.
Step 5: Install mod SKYUI
SKYUI is a mod that allows you to change the game interface. We recommend you to install it first. To install mod SKYUI, you can follow these steps:
1) Go to SKYUI page in nexusmods.com.
2) Click the MANUAL button and follow the on-screen instructions to download the mod to your computer.
3) Launch Nexus Mod Manager.
4) Click the green+ icon in the left pane to add the mod SKYUI.
5) Under the Mods tab, double-click on the SKYUI and the mod will be installed automatically.
Step 6: Install any mods you want
You can install any mods you want with Nexus Mod Manager. To install other mods, refer to the instructions of installing mod SKYUI.
First, download the mod you want from Nexusmods page. Then use Nexus Mod Manager to install the mod.
Step 7: Play Skyrim with the installed mods
After installing the mods you want, then you can play Skyrim with the installed mods. Before you start playing the game, you need to do the following steps:
1) In Nexus Mod Manager, under the Plugins tab, ensure all plugins are selected, then unselect HighResTexturePack03.esp.
2) Use LOOT to set the load orders for the mods.
2a) Open the Skyrim directory folder (The default Skyrim directory folder is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Skyrim”.), then open subfolder loot, double click on loot.exe to launch LOOT.
2b) Click Sort. As the screen shot shown below, the load orders of the mods will be set.
2c) Click Apply.
2d) Close LOOT.
3) Launch FNIS.
3a) Open the Skyrim directory folder (The default Skyrim directory folder is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Skyrim”.), then open the subfolder data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users.
3b) Double-click on GenerateFNIS_for_Users.exe to launch FNIS.
To play Skyrim, go to Skyrim directory folder and double-click on skse_loader.exe.
Bonus tip: Update drivers to improve game performance
If you want your game to have the maximum performance, keep drivers up-to-date, especially the graphics drivers.
If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update the drivers manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to the devices to automatically download the correct version of their driver, then you can manually install the driver (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
Hopefully you find the above guide to install mods for Skyrim helpful. If you have any questions, ideas or suggestions, feel free to leave a common below.