If you run into the laptop touchpad not working issue, don’t worry. It’s often not hard to fix at all…
3 fixes for laptop touchpad not working in Windows 10, 7 and 8.1
Here are 3 fixes that have helped other users resolve their laptop touchpad not working problem. Just work your way down the list until you find the fix that works for you.
Sometimes a simple restart can work like a charm in solving computer glitches and minor issues.
After the reboot, check your touchpad and see if it works. If yes, then great! But if it still doesn’t work properly, please move on to Fix 2, below.
The laptop toucpad not working issue sometimes happens only because you’ve disabled it unknowingly.
To turn the feature back on:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then copy & paste main.cpl into the box and click OK.
- Click the Device Settings tab > your device > Enable > Apply > OK.Step 2) might differ slightly depending on the build of your Windows Operating System. The bottom line is: enable your touch pad.
- Hopefully this turns your touchpad back on and solve the laptop touchpad not working issue. If the problem persists, try Fix 3.
This problem may also occur if you use the wrong or corrupt touchpad driver. So you should update your touchpad driver to see if it fixes the issue. If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 steps (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of ALL the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
4) Check and see if the laptop touchpad not working problem is resolved.
Hopefully you have successfully resolved the laptop touchpad not working issue by now. If you have any ideas, questions or suggestions, please leave us a comment below. Thanks for reading!