Lenovo Fingerprint Reader Not Working Windows 10 [SOLVED]
If you find the fingerprint reader on your Lenovo laptop doesn’t work any more, don’t panic. It’s often quite easy to fix…
Try these fixes
Here’re 4 fixes that have helped other users resolve the Lenovo Fingerprint Reader Not Working Windows 10 problem. Just work your way down the list until you find the fix that does the trick.
- Check the fingerprint scanner
- Update your fingerprint reader driver
- Uninstall Lenovo Finerprint Manager and use the default fingerprint driver
- Re-enroll your fingerprints
Before addressing the fingerprint reader not working problem, you might want to check the fingerprint scanner for possible hardware issues.
- Check if there’s any grease or dust on the scanner. If yes, then gently wipe it off with a piece of clean cloth.
- Check if there’re any scratches on the sensor. If it’s been badly scratched, then send it to a trustworthy computer repair shop or the computer vendor for repair.
This problem may occur if you are using the wrong fingerprint reader driver or it’s out of date. So you should update your fingerprint reader driver to see if it fixes your problem. If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
- Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
You can also click Update to do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
- Restart your computer and see if the fingerprint reader works properly this time. If it works, then great. But if it doesn’t, move on to Fix 3, below.
If Fix 2 doesn’t work for you, then you’d probably have to uninstall the lenovo fingerprint software and the fingerprint driver (so that Windows will install the default generic one for you) to see if it works.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key, then type apps and click on Apps & features.
- Locate and click on Lenovo Finerprint Manager (or, Lenovo Finerprint Manager Pro)and click Uninstall.
- Click Uninstall to confirm.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type devmgmt.msc, then press Enter.
- Double-click on Biometric devices and then right-click on your Lenovo fingerprint device and click Uninstall device.
- Click Uninstall to confirm.
- Restart your computer, then test to see if the fingerprint reader not working problem has been solved.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type sign-in, then click on Sign-in options.
- Scroll down to Windows Hello, and click Set up under the Fingerprint section.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the fingerprint login.
- Don’t forget to test if the fingerprint reader works normally this time.
How have the fixes above helped you with your troubleshooting? Do you have any experiences or ideas to share with us? Feel free to drop a comment below and let us know your thoughts. 🙂