Your mouse stops working? You must be very frustrated. Don’t worry. You’re not alone; Many users are struggling with the mouse not working problem on their laptop. More important, you can fix it easily.
You’ll learn the top easy and helpful solutions to fix the nagging mouse not working problem on your Windows laptop.
How do I fix the mouse not working on laptop problem?
Here’re 4 solutions you can try. You may not have to try them all; just work your way until your mouse works again.
- Replug your USB cable or USB reciever
- Install new batteries (only for wireless mouse)
- Restart your laptop
- Update your mouse driver
If you’re using a wired mouse or a wireless USB mouse, when it’s not working, the first thing you can do is to check if your mouse is connected correctly with your laptop. You can try to replug your USB cable or USB reciver into the same USB port or a different one to check if it works.
1) Unplug your USB cable or USB receiver from your laptop.
2) Wait for 1-3 minutes.
3) Plug your USB cable or USB receiver into the USB port correctly.
4) Try to use your mouse to see if works.
If you’re using a wireless mouse, either Bluetooth mouse or a one with a wireless receiver, when it’s not working, you can try to install new batteries.
1) Uninstall the old batteries in your wireless mouse.
2) Replace with the new batteries.
3) Try to use your mouse to see if it works.
Sometimes a simple restart can help you fix a lot computer woes, including your mouse not working issue. So if after you reconnect your mouse to laptop, it still keeps not working, restart your laptop please. After get into the Windows, try your mouse to see if it works.
The solutions above may resolve your problem, but if they don’t, don’t be frustrated. Your mouse not working problem could be due to the different reasons. Besides the reasons we talk above, the mouse not working on your laptop could be also due to an old, incompatible, or corrupted mouse driver. You can solve this problem through updating your mouse driver.
There’re two ways you can update your mouse driver, manually and automatically.
Way 1: Manual driver update – You can update your mouse driver manually by going to the manufacturer’s website for your mouse, or your laptop manufacturer’s website, and searching for the most recent correct driver. Be sure to choose only drivers that are compatible with your variant of Windows versions. In this way, you will need to check the update for your devices one by one.
Way 2: Automatic driver update – If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your mouse driver manually, you can, instead, do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find all the available correct drivers, and it will download and install them correctly:
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click Scan Now. Driver Easy will then scan your laptop and detect any problem drivers. Your mouse driver is no exception.
3) Click the Update button next to your flagged mouse driver to automatically download and install the correct version of it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system. (This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All.)
4) Restart your laptop and try to use your mouse to see if it works.
Till now, your mouse should works. If you have any problems, please tell us by leaving your comment below and also if this post help you, tell us which method works for you. Thank you in advance.