Roblox is a pretty popular creation platform where you can dive into a different world and run wild. But users report experiencing inconsistent frames and lag while playing Roblox. If you happened to be one of them, don’t worry. Here’re some simple fixes to reduce the lag and speed it up!
Try these fixes:
You might not have to try them all; simply work your way down the list until you find the one that works.
- Close unnecessary programs
- Delete temporary files
- Update your network adapter driver
- Use a wired connection
- Change your DNS settings
- Reduce your graphics quality on Roblox
- Delete textures
But before diving into troubleshooting, it’s recommended that you restart your PC and access the game again. Some lags on Roblox are easily resolved by simply restarting the game.
Fix 1: Close unnecessary programs
The game lagging is generally a sign of a slow game. This can be caused by having too many high-power programs using your system resources. For the most optimal experience, it is recommended that when you run Roblox, you close those other programs. To do this, take these steps:
1) Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc together on your keyboard to trigger Task Manager.
2) From the Processes tab, click the programs that you want to stop from running one by one and click End task.
Fix 2: Delete temporary files
As the name suggests, temporary files are the kind of files that store temporary data that is created by Windows itself or the programs that users use. But they take up some hard drive space which makes your computer slow, which can also impact the responsiveness to the connection. So to make your computer run smoother, you’re supposed to delete those files and it won’t cause any problems. Here’s how you can do this:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run box.
2) Type %temp% and then press Enter on your keyboard.
3) Delete all the files in the temp folder. (Press Ctrl and A at the same time to select all the files. Then right-click and select Delete.)
4) If a window pops up saying that The action can’t be completed, simply check the box Do this for all current items and click Skip.
5) Now go to your Recycling Bin from your desktop. Right-click on it and select Empty Recycle Bin.
6) Click Yes.
After deleting the temp files, launch your game to check if the lag is reduced. If the problem persists, proceed to the next fix.
Fix 3: Update your network adpater driver
When your Roblox is lagging, it’s generally a sign of a slow connection. Your outdated network adapter driver can be the culprit and makes your game super laggy. To fix it, you need to update your network adapter driver, especially if you can’t remember when was the last time you updated it.
You can manually update your network adapter driver by going to the manufacturer’s official website to download and install the correct network driver for your system.
You can do it automatically with Driver Easy. Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct driver for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
Click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system.
(This requires the Pro version which comes with full support and a 30-day money-back guarantee. You’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All. If you don’t want to upgrade to the Pro version, you can also update your drivers with the FREE version. All you need to do is to download them one at a time and manually install them.)
After updating drivers, restart your computer for the changes to take effects. Till then, you can check if this action helps your game run better.
Fix 4: Use a wired connection
For gaming purposes, a wired connection is preferable over a wireless connection to the internet. Wireless connections are most susceptible to interference and aren’t as consistent as wired connections. More importantly, they increase latency. Therefore, if possible, use a wired connection when you play a game online.
However, if you don’t have an access to the wired connection, don’t worry, you can check out other fixes below.
Fix 5: Change your DNS settings
Sometimes your ISP-supplied DNS server might be slow or not properly configured for caching, which can slow your connection a little bit. And that might be the reason that your Roblox is so laggy. To save you time troubleshooting, you’re supposed to change your DNS settings.
Here we recommend using Google DNS:
1) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog box.
2) Type control and then press Enter on your keyboard to open the Control Panel.
3) Click Network and Internet. (Note: make sure you view the Control Panel by Category.)
3) Click Network and Sharing Center.
4) Click on your Connections, whether it’s Ethernet, Wifi, or others.
5) Click Properties.
6) Click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP /IPv4) > Properties.
7) Click Use the following DNS server addresses:
For Preferred DNS server, type 22.214.171.124
For Alternate DNS server, type 126.96.36.199
Check the box next to Validate settings upon exit and then click OK.
After changing your DNS server, play your Roblox games and check if it’s less laggy. If this didn’t do the trick, proceed to the next fix below.
Fix 6: Reduce your graphics quality on Roblox
1) Launch any Roblox game.
2) Select a Roblox game and click on the Play button
If you haven’t installed the Roblox Player, a window will be popping up on the screen. Just click Download and Install Roblox and then double-click on the installation file to install it.
3) Press ESC on your keyboard and on the upper left corner of the screen, you’ll see the three-line tab. Just click it.
4) Click the settings tab. In the Graphics Mode section, click the next > arrow to change it to Manual. Doing so will enable you to adjust the graphics quality by yourself.
5) In the Graphics Quality section, click the button with the minus sign (-) to lower the graphics quality.
After that, click Resume Game to return to your game.
Fix 7: Delete textures
To speed up Roblox on your computer, you should delete the textures. Without textures, the game should run a little bit smoother.
Here are some steps:
1) Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box.
2) Type %appdata% and click OK.
3) On the address bar, click Appdata.
4) Click on the Local folder.
5) Click on the Roblox folder. (Folders are listed in alphabetical order.)
6) Click on the versions folder to open it.
7) Click the latest version folder. This is named version- with a version number at the end of it.
8) Click the PlatformContent.
9) Click the PC folder.
10) Click the textures folder.
11) Except for the studs and wangIndex folders, delete those other folders.
12) Empty your recycling bin.
Right-click on the recycling bin icon on your desktop and click Empty Recycle Bin.
After taking all the steps, play a Roblox game. You’re supposed to be able to have your game performance improved.
Hopefully, this post could help you reduce Roblox lag and you can have a better gaming experience! If, unfortunately, all else fails, you should consider reinstalling Roblox.
If you have any ideas or questions, please leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you!